What is this compact, and why are some agencies not a part of it? Do the municipalities have to contribute something to such a compact?
Just keep hearing this term, and would love to know what it means!
Brandon:
Here are a number of references to the WMATA Compact.
Chuck
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=What+is+the+WMATA+Compact%3F&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
Thanks Chuck. I kinda have a general idea now. I guess my real question is, how does it differ from other transit authorities in the nation, in regards to how it is set up?
I don't think many transit systems are set up as insane as WMATA is. Not too many transit systems have two states and a whatever you want to call DC trying to all fund the same system.
Tritransit Area
I guess my real question is, how does it differ from other transit authorities in the nation, in regards to how it is set up?
It is an interstate compact. Compact between the states require the consent of the federal legislature as defined in the United States Constitution.
Article I
Section 10 - Powers prohibited of States
No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.
Read it here, it's pretty much self explanatory.
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Compact (http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/docs/compact.pdf) (158 KB PDF file)