DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: WMATAGMOAGH on February 21, 2009, 10:37:20 AM

Title: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on February 21, 2009, 10:37:20 AM
From the Metro website:

Quote
Metro launches page on Facebook®
For immediate release: February 20, 2009
Riders encouraged to become fans, participate in group discussions
Metro has joined the social networking craze and recently launched a Facebook® page as another way to communicate with riders.
The page is a less formal avenue for Metro to share information and interact with customers. Metro is encouraging people to check out the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority page on Facebook® and become a fan.
Information about Metro, upcoming events like scheduled track work and YouTube videos are posted on the page. RSS feeds show real-time information about Metrorail and Metrobus service disruptions.
In addition, fans will find a discussion board and are encouraged to weigh in on the latest topics. The first discussion asks for ideas about new ways for Metro to earn money like expanded advertising and vendor sales in Metrorail stations.
Metro plans to add more features to its page on Facebook® in the future.
Facebook® is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc.
###
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on February 21, 2009, 01:34:32 PM
Here is the URL for anyone interested: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Washington-Metropolitan-Area-Transit-Authority/9865116970
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: Scrabbleship on February 21, 2009, 06:42:41 PM
Wow, it tripled its membership in not even two hours!

Maybe you can do one for Ride On, Chris :)
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: WES on February 21, 2009, 11:04:13 PM
What no Myspace page.

Boy is everybody and everything getting a facebook page.  I would like to see what THE BUS has for their facebook page.  Probably a picture of a chimp or a burnt out CAGV(Crappy Ass  Gas Vehicle).  They would probably have just one friend---AND IT AIN'T ME!!!!!
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: MetroLinerXLZ on February 21, 2009, 11:27:17 PM
To be honest, it's a nice attempt.

I'd rather see WMATA get involved with us transitologists (yes, that's my word for us transit fans).

But then again, maybe they'll listen to our point of view on certain things. Perhaps if we get "loud" enough, they'll halt the Flxible's retirement (or at least I wish).
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: btconet on February 22, 2009, 11:48:31 AM
Ok, Oren...

Is it coincidence, but why do you, Fred, and Perry all happen to show up among the 6 of 601 Fans on the front page?

Meanwhile, Tristan starts his anti-fan page...
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: Scrabbleship on February 22, 2009, 12:24:37 PM
Quote from: btconet on February 22, 2009, 11:48:31 AM
Ok, Oren...

Is it coincidence, but why do you, Fred, and Perry all happen to show up among the 6 of 601 Fans on the front page?

Same reason why Oren, Perry, and two non-transit people I know are part of my sample of six. :) Oddly enough, I think you're one of the two wild cards this time around!

I can wager an actual answer, but do you want to be spoiled as to why?   :P

QuoteMeanwhile, Tristan starts his anti-fan page...

Line of the day!
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on February 22, 2009, 12:39:24 PM
Quote from: btconet on February 22, 2009, 11:48:31 AM
Ok, Oren...

Is it coincidence, but why do you, Fred, and Perry all happen to show up among the 6 of 601 Fans on the front page?


Sometime in Facebook's more recent history but before most of you joined FB, they programmed it so that your friends are more likely to show up on that sort of a view, whereas before it was totally random, and the 6 people shown could be anyone (and more likely than not, would not be your friends).  You'll notice the same thing happens if you click on the Amtrak page for example.  I just clicked on it and you, Ben Schumin, and a non-railbuff friend of mine showed up as 3 of the 6 fans to be displayed in that box.
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: Perry on February 22, 2009, 05:58:36 PM
LOL, I need to check out Tristan's page on there.  I figure what the heck and join it.  I haven't been on there since I joined though.
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: C40LF_2464 on February 22, 2009, 06:53:33 PM
Quote from: WES on February 21, 2009, 11:04:13 PM
What no Myspace page.

Boy is everybody and everything getting a facebook page.  I would like to see what THE BUS has for their facebook page.  Probably a picture of a chimp or a burnt out CAGV(Crappy Ass  Gas Vehicle).  They would probably have just one friend---AND IT AIN'T ME!!!!!

HAHA ThesBus getting a facebook page they are probally to poor to afford a computer but anyways they should have just made a myspace cause almost everybody has one  ;D i have 2. 1 for transit and one is personal but Facebook everybody has been starting to get one ever since last week but im about to make one so see ya guys later !!!!  but i think im getting off topic here
Quote from: MetroLinerXLZ on February 21, 2009, 11:27:17 PM
To be honest, it's a nice attempt.

I'd rather see WMATA get involved with us transitologists (yes, that's my word for us transit fans).

But then again, maybe they'll listen to our point of view on certain things. Perhaps if we get "loud" enough, they'll halt the Flxible's retirement (or at least I wish).
That would be cool to see them get in contact with us"Transitologists" Hells why not just join the forum!!!
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: Scrabbleship on February 22, 2009, 07:29:48 PM
Quote from: WES on February 21, 2009, 11:04:13 PM
What no Myspace page.

Myspace is so 2005...
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: WES on February 26, 2009, 07:57:39 PM
Oh well I don't plan to go on facebook any time in the near or far future, so until WMATA gets on myspace, I'll be doing other things.
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: C40LF_2464 on March 01, 2009, 07:07:13 AM
Quote from: WES on February 26, 2009, 07:57:39 PM
Oh well I don't plan to go on facebook any time in the near or far future, so until WMATA gets on myspace, I'll be doing other things.
True  ;D
Title: Re: Metro launches page on Facebook®
Post by: btconet on March 01, 2009, 09:06:00 PM
Wow, I don't even want to picture what a WMATA Myspace page would look like.  Perhaps a go-go MP3 track in the background, some cheesy glitzy animated gifs for link buttons, and some tacky flash animations that say "The GUESSWORK is Gone" when you mouse over?!?

Oh, and of course on Myspace, they couldn't dare use their real agency name, they'd have to use an alias like CAPTAIN'S TRANSIT CO. in all caps to fit in.

Sorry, but I'm done with the masquerade ball called Myspace.