DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: orionvii2680 on December 12, 2008, 11:02:33 AM

Title: Favorite WMATA Railcar
Post by: orionvii2680 on December 12, 2008, 11:02:33 AM
Whats your favorite WMATA rail car?



Mines is the 5000 series caf rail car.
Title: Re: Wmata rail car.
Post by: Antozilla on December 12, 2008, 11:08:32 AM
The 1000 series, more seats.
Title: Re: Wmata rail car.
Post by: LandoverDivision on December 12, 2008, 01:48:40 PM
The Original Breda and the Alstoms. The Breda because of that classic "buzz" and the Alstoms because of weird shaped windows and they just look cool. I like the CAFs because of their sound.
Title: WMATA Car
Post by: coneyraven on December 12, 2008, 10:36:53 PM
For me, it's the original Rohr cars.....there was a certain sound to them that is unmatched --
Title: Re: Wmata rail car.
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on December 12, 2008, 11:28:51 PM
The New Alstroms.

Plenty of room, and has that new train feel to it.

I also like all the Bredas (rehabbed and non-rehabbed).
Title: Re: Wmata rail car.
Post by: C40LF_2464 on December 17, 2008, 08:45:33 PM
The CAF cars

I like there swagger 
Title: Re: Wmata rail car.
Post by: aznboy4305 on December 17, 2008, 09:51:44 PM
I would have to say the CAFs
Title: Re: Wmata rail car.
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on December 17, 2008, 10:46:15 PM
1000 Series, then the original 3000 Series. 

Why is everyone here so in love with the CAFs?  I personally think they are the worst trains Metro has: poorly built and very unreliable.  If you want to see and ride good CAF equipment, the place to be is Madrid (which has my favorite CAFs, the Type 8000s) or Barcelona.  And I'm also a fan of the CAF MA300 Stock in Rome.
Title: Re: Wmata rail car.
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on December 17, 2008, 11:08:25 PM
3000 Series Bredas. Their motors remind me of the ones MTA's Budds have. I also like the 1000 Series. I like the 2000 Series and 6000 series because I like the Alstom motors they have. 5000 Series = Crap.
Title: Re: Favorite WMATA Railcar
Post by: WMAveteran on December 18, 2008, 01:46:50 AM
Quote from: orionvii271 on December 12, 2008, 11:02:33 AM
Whats your favorite WMATA rail car?



Mines is the 5000 series caf rail car.

Any car that gets me to my destination without a mechanical breakdown!
Title: Re: Favorite WMATA Railcar
Post by: Annex4421 on December 06, 2009, 05:44:03 PM
The CAFs, Alstoms and Orioginal Bredas (3000) series
Title: Re: Favorite WMATA Railcar
Post by: Tritransit Area on December 06, 2009, 06:44:46 PM
I'm surprised that the CAFs have so many fans as well.  My favorite car class is the Breda group, particularly the 3000 series before rehab.  However, I do enjoy the Bredas post rehab as well!
Title: Re: Favorite WMATA Railcar
Post by: Tristan on December 07, 2009, 11:30:02 AM
Funny - thinking about sound, I like all of our railcars for different reasons.  In terms of reliability though, give me a rehab...and if you're out of those, I'll take an Alstom if I have to (has anyone been on a WARM Alstom car?  They all feel very cold to me).  I'm okay with the 4000-series but the plastic windows on so many of them are so f---ed up that you can't see anything.
Title: Re: Favorite WMATA Railcar
Post by: Antozilla on December 07, 2009, 11:38:33 AM
I am definitely against whaterer cars have the hang down straps in the middle of the aisle so you hit your head on them.  Not the smartest Metro decision.
Title: Re: Favorite WMATA Railcar
Post by: Scrabbleship on December 07, 2009, 12:02:39 PM
1: Alstoms. They still feel and look new.
2: 4000's and pre-rehab Bredas. The sounds and the leather covered seat handles (though now worn) set them apart.
3: Post-rehab Bredas and CAF. The CAF's set a new design standard and the Bredas post-rehab aren't that bad.
4: Rohr's. Between how they used to rule the Red Line and how they've become pariahs post crash... Somehow whole bunches of cars that are older don't seem as old as the Rohrs.
Title: Re: Favorite WMATA Railcar
Post by: aznboy4305 on December 07, 2009, 12:06:31 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on December 17, 2008, 10:46:15 PM
1000 Series, then the original 3000 Series. 

Why is everyone here so in love with the CAFs?  I personally think they are the worst trains Metro has: poorly built

Because when a CAF hits a "structurally sound" Rohr, the CAF doesn't crumble like tin foil.

Kick a Rohr, you make a hole through the wall. Kick a CAF, you break your foot.
Title: Re: Favorite WMATA Railcar
Post by: Tritransit Area on December 07, 2009, 02:10:42 PM
Has a CAF hit a Rohr yet?  Are the Alstoms as strong?