I'm surprised nobody mentioned this. Last night about 11pm there was a shooting on a Ride On bus on Piney Branch Rd.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Teen_Killed_2_Injured_in_Ride_On_Bus_Shooting.html
Quote from: rideonrulez on November 02, 2008, 09:09:24 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this. Last night about 11pm there was a shooting on a Ride On bus on Piney Branch Rd.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Teen_Killed_2_Injured_in_Ride_On_Bus_Shooting.html
I don't live in MoCo, for me it was a NoGo. Corny joke -_-
I was planning to post it when I saw it but it seems that most of us had technical issues as a result of the board upgrade. I first heard the story on WTOP last night at 1 AM EST, and it was posted on washingtonpost.com around midday today.
Obviously a tragic and unfortunate incident, hopefully the authorities will catch the person who did it. Although far less important than the lost life or the injuries, any info on what bus it was and what route it was on?
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on November 02, 2008, 10:34:26 PM
Although far less important than the lost life or the injuries, any info on what bus it was and what route it was on?
It was on the route 16, 1996 Gillig #5383.
Why am I not surprised about the route...
Quote from: Tristan on November 03, 2008, 11:12:16 AM
Why am I not surprised about the route...
Because 90% of the bad news that comes out of Silver Spring takes place in the vicinity of Piney Branch and/or University? MoCo should have given it to PG when MoCo got PG's portion of Takoma Park...
You know all of P.G isn't as bad as you think. It's only some parts. Just like with MoCo has some bad parts. There is never a such thing as a "completly safe" place.
QuoteWhy am I not surprised about the route...
See...that was my first thought when I learned what route the bus was on. When I first read the title of the thread, my thought jumped right to that area as the scene of the crime.
I'm really sad to hear that what seems to be a good kid lost his life over this foolishness. That area of Silver Spring, despite the wonderful downtown area, seems to be going in a downward spiral. Heck, I remember one night coming home on that very route 16, ready to transfer in Langley Park but saw immense police activity (with a search helicopter) at University Boulevard and New Hampshire Ave. Needless to say I stayed on the bus and when I got off, walked home as fast as possible!
Usually the stereotype would point to something like this happening on the PG side, but hey - it's happening in Mont Co. too... My heart does go out to the boy's family and friends...
Is it true the '96 Gilligs don't have cameras installed yet? I thought Ride-On implemented a fleet-wide camera installation program?
QuoteIt was on the route 16, 1996 Gillig #5383.
The only way that could've hit closer to home is if that bus was on New Hampshire Ave... It's a shame that this happened...I don't think there has been a shooting on a Ride-On bus before this incident, has there? (excluding the Montgomery County Sniper incident).
I'm definitely going to have to be *more* careful when I end up riding home late at night when I'm down there. Looks like Ride-On is really starting to face the trials and tribulations of urban transit agencies as Montgomery County becomes more urbanized. :(
There is probably shootings on buses all the time (though I haven't seen any on DUH BUS surprisingly). But you have to be careful when riding buses. Anything can happen anywhere at anytime.
I've never heard of such an incident on a Ride On bus, Brandon (tritransit). Brandon (landover), DUH BUS never has any problems because trouble comes out at night and they go in at night.
Tritransit's name is Brandon? Wow. Anyways, that is true Tristan. Speaking of nights, do DASH buses run at night and/or after midnight?
We run when there are passengers to move, lol. But our last pull-in is at 12:30, from the #8 of course.
Subject: Ride On shooting.
Update: Police search for 2 with MS-13 Ties
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/10/AR2008111001898.html
Quote from: Tristan on November 06, 2008, 10:33:16 AM
I've never heard of such an incident on a Ride On bus, Brandon (tritransit). Brandon (landover), DUH BUS never has any problems because trouble comes out at night and they go in at night.
Tristan,
You have to remember this is PG where this type of stuff can happen at anytime. I am surprised this hasn't happened on any THE BUS bus yet during the day.
Quote from: WES on November 13, 2008, 12:36:09 AM
Quote from: Tristan on November 06, 2008, 10:33:16 AM
I've never heard of such an incident on a Ride On bus, Brandon (tritransit). Brandon (landover), DUH BUS never has any problems because trouble comes out at night and they go in at night.
Tristan,
You have to remember this is PG where this type of stuff can happen at anytime. I am surprised this hasn't happened on any THE BUS bus yet during the day.
It's true what you say WES, but it's not just P.G it can be anywhere. Like I said in another topic, there is no such thing as a "completly safe" place. Like at one point, there was a kidnapping in what a lot of people would call one of the safer neighborhoods of the D.C Area. Stuff like this just happens in some places more than others.