DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => Beyond the Beltway => Topic started by: WES on October 16, 2008, 10:59:50 PM

Title: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: WES on October 16, 2008, 10:59:50 PM
I went to Charlottesville last week and though this was most likely reported before, Charlottesville now has Gillig Advantages also.  It seems like Gilligs are appearing everywhere now and if they aren't showing up in cities, then Flyers are.  Now personally I don't have a real beef with Gillig and I like Flyers, it now seems with Orion, NABI, El Dorado National, Van Hool and now NOVA, seeing or hearing most cities getting either Gilligs or New Flyers is almost annoying.

Dallas is now in the next of line to now get Gilligs and along with The Bus(PG), Ride On, Howard Transit among a few of the many that have received Gilligs and others like WMATA, Philly, Chicago, Boston and Atlanta getting New Flyers, you are either going to soon run into a T/A with either a Flyer or Gillig there.  The only strong holds for NABI seem to be Miami, LA and New Jersey, and Orion stronghold seems to be New York City.  The only good thing for WMATA is that they are getting NABI artics, the good news for FFX Connector is that even though they are getting more Flyers apparently, they are also getting some Orion VIIs and the good news for Ride On is after the next batch of Gilligs are delivered and they get CNG buses, they won't get Gilligs(but New Flyer makes CNG buses-but with RIDE ON's track record, Flyer CNGs isn't a certainty anyway).

As for those said Flyers that Charlottesville had, they still have them, I passed by their garage and saw them still sitting in there, looking still ready for service, probably seeing service  during rush hour and/or school trippers.
Title: Re: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: Tristan on October 17, 2008, 12:31:33 PM
Some of Charlottesville's Flyers are new enough for LED signs, certainly not too old for service.

DASH will be getting Advantages next, most likely, including Advantage trolleys.  I know what you're thinking, but if we have to run some sort of trolley vehicle when the Gay Line contract is up, at least we'll have real buses that are trying to look like trolleys instead of RVs trying to look like real buses...
Title: Re: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: Tritransit Area on October 18, 2008, 12:10:07 AM
Advantages would look good in the DASH scheme.  I'm guessing the new facility is up and running?

But yes, it seems like nowadays, if it's not Gillig, it's New Flyer and visa versa.  Almost like Flxible & GMC New Looks back in the day.

NABI seems to be taking Orion's place as the 3rd top manufacturer, as Westchester Bee-Line is taking an order of NABI 40LFWs...
Title: Re: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: Perry on October 18, 2008, 12:15:27 AM
NABI is going to do themsevles in with the garbage they're putting out.  Our newest fleet has vehicles in the shop more than out.  Thankfully we'll be getting 45 new New Flyers in the next few months.  They'll have their own teething problems but I am NOT a fan of NABI. 
Title: Re: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: Tritransit Area on October 18, 2008, 12:48:52 AM
Yikes, I hope the NJT units won't give too much trouble.  Otherwise they are going to have 1100+ junkers in service.

Of course, Washington Twp in Southern NJ will be among the first to receive these buses...
Title: Re: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: Tristan on October 18, 2008, 01:18:08 AM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on October 18, 2008, 12:10:07 AM
Advantages would look good in the DASH scheme.  I'm guessing the new facility is up and running?

But yes, it seems like nowadays, if it's not Gillig, it's New Flyer and visa versa.  Almost like Flxible & GMC New Looks back in the day.

NABI seems to be taking Orion's place as the 3rd top manufacturer, as Westchester Bee-Line is taking an order of NABI 40LFWs...

Well the construction site is up and running...opening October 2009.
Title: Re: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: MetroLinerXLZ on October 18, 2008, 05:17:21 AM
Quote from: WES on October 16, 2008, 10:59:50 PM
I went to Charlottesville last week and though this was most likely reported before, Charlottesville now has Gillig Advantages also.  It seems like Gilligs are appearing everywhere now and if they aren't showing up in cities, then Flyers are.  Now personally I don't have a real beef with Gillig and I like Flyers, it now seems with Orion, NABI, El Dorado National, Van Hool and now NOVA, seeing or hearing most cities getting either Gilligs or New Flyers is almost annoying.

Dallas is now in the next of line to now get Gilligs and along with The Bus(PG), Ride On, Howard Transit among a few of the many that have received Gilligs and others like WMATA, Philly, Chicago, Boston and Atlanta getting New Flyers, you are either going to soon run into a T/A with either a Flyer or Gillig there.  The only strong holds for NABI seem to be Miami, LA and New Jersey, and Orion stronghold seems to be New York City.  The only good thing for WMATA is that they are getting NABI artics, the good news for FFX Connector is that even though they are getting more Flyers apparently, they are also getting some Orion VIIs and the good news for Ride On is after the next batch of Gilligs are delivered and they get CNG buses, they won't get Gilligs(but New Flyer makes CNG buses-but with RIDE ON's track record, Flyer CNGs isn't a certainty anyway).

As for those said Flyers that Charlottesville had, they still have them, I passed by their garage and saw them still sitting in there, looking still ready for service, probably seeing service  during rush hour and/or school trippers.

This my friend, I did not report because I actually haven't been to Charlottesville since March (after dealing with unrelated legal issues). So you folks not knowing this is somewhat my fault, as I'm always hawking around on transit in that area.

Last time I was there, I didn't have the opportunity to ride around on CTS and UTS; however, I already knew those Gilligs were coming in.

More than likely, both CTS and UTS got them, as orders were made for both of them. I do not know the fleet numbers as of yet. I can call my grandfather (retired, former driver for CTS) and find out more info.

As for the New Flyers (820-829 and 840-841), they should still see service. Those buses (by law) cannot be retired/removed untill at least 2010 (around 2012 for buses 840-841), as they'll reach 12 years by that time.

BTW, CTS does NOT run school trippers. The Public Schools department already has that in check. Now if ya'll are talking about the "Free Trolley" to U.VA, I get where you're coming from.

(OFF TOPIC COMMENT)
To be honest with you Wes, I'm suprised to hear you made it out alive. From what my sister has told me, Charlottesville is starting to look like San Andreas (Grand Theft Auto) with all the gang B.S., which is why I haven't even thought of going back to my hometown in recent months.

Title: Re: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: WES on October 18, 2008, 10:51:10 PM
I don't know how many they received of each size, but the 30 footers are in the 200s and the 35 footers are in the 100s.

Their transit station is nice looking, indoor seating, schedule rack, etc.

And that gang thing, it's not a good sign when small town U.S.A. is being overrun by the crips and the bloods. >:(
Title: Re: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: Tristan on October 19, 2008, 10:35:55 AM
Are you sure it's not MS-13?
Title: Re: Gilligs and Flyers are everywhere it seems
Post by: MetroLinerXLZ on October 23, 2008, 10:04:51 AM
Quote from: Tristan on October 19, 2008, 10:35:55 AM
Are you sure it's not MS-13?

LOL, trust me, it's far from MS-13. The Hispanic population in Charlottesville (though increasing) is quite mediocre. Whites are still the population's majority, followed by us black folks (who are currently pulling the trigger). Shame, shame, shame...

If you wish to see any MS-13 folks....you should come around my neck of the woods.