DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Day-to-Day Sightings => Topic started by: WES on February 01, 2011, 08:44:48 AM

Title: February 2011 Observations
Post by: WES on February 01, 2011, 08:44:48 AM
Let the observations of February begin.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: WES on February 04, 2011, 06:10:17 PM
5206 and 5209 on the X2.  With that said saw two four back to backs.  First four back to back was seeing 2351, 5209, and unidentified NABI BRT and 2402 approaching, all on the X2.  2351 was crush loaded, 5029 was almost crush loaded and the BRT and 2402 had standees.  The next back to back to back to back happened on the U8.  2170, 2187 and 2 C40LFs came in and left.  All of them came in about 5 minutes after my X9 got into Capitol Heights and most left about 5 minute before that X9 left with the last c40LF leaving when that x9 left.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: orionvii2680 on February 04, 2011, 06:23:22 PM
2063-23C!

New Paint job Orion VII's
2536
2543
2580
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: WayneNYC on February 04, 2011, 06:46:36 PM
Circulator #1124 broke down at Wisconsin & R yesterday. 

6549 on the J9 this afternoon.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on February 04, 2011, 07:18:15 PM
Quote from: orionvii2680 on February 04, 2011, 06:23:22 PM
2063-23C!

New Paint job Orion VII's
2536
2543
2580

I think West Ox has a block on the 23C. I have to check the block number to give you the exact block.

Edit: I checked and it should be AS49 block. It does a trip on the 17L.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on February 04, 2011, 10:39:29 PM
6345 is no longer wrapped with the BET ad
Title: Smokin' 2072
Post by: Transport on February 08, 2011, 09:11:35 AM
I passed 2072 on westbound I-66 just before the Glebe Rd/Fairfax Dr entrance ramp.  She was spewing white smoke across the freeway on the right shoulder.  This was at about 8:43 a.m.

Another Orion VI fire?
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: orionvii2680 on February 08, 2011, 05:57:23 PM
3023-23A. Packed beyond measures.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: C40LF_2464 on February 08, 2011, 10:35:32 PM
6408 on the 22A
2636 on the REX
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: WayneNYC on February 10, 2011, 09:29:46 PM
RO 5721 rear ended by car on the 55 on Christopher Ave just north of Montgomery Village Ave
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: WayneNYC on February 14, 2011, 09:10:40 AM
At least one of MTA's new D4500s may have a partial wrap for the #202 & #202 ICC Express routes.  This morning I saw a MCI D4500 heading E/B on I-370.  I was headed W/B and driving too fast to (safely) get a good look.  I'm pretty sure I managed to see two letter Cs (as in ICC).   
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: RideOn5905 on February 14, 2011, 06:19:40 PM
I saw an accident this morning as I was on the 55 going to Montgomery College. Then, as I was going to class, I saw 5195 with "SPECIAL" on its destination sign. It went past the main dropoff area at the front and was going towards the parking lot.

Later on, I rode 6207 on the J9; this bus makes a really loud noise whenever it brakes, kind of like 6217 does.

And finally, when I was on the 61 going home, I saw 5947 going the other way with its rear hood open.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on February 15, 2011, 07:10:23 PM
I was at Archives this morning, there was an awful lot of traffic going westbound on Constitution Ave and Penn. Ave, so much that some (if not all) 52 runs were rerouted to go via Archives like the 54. I think something happened somewhere near the White House that caused this, but I'm not sure as of yet.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: WES on February 15, 2011, 07:30:26 PM
Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on February 15, 2011, 07:10:23 PM
I was at Archives this morning, there was an awful lot of traffic going westbound on Constitution Ave and Penn. Ave, so much that some (if not all) 52 runs were rerouted to go via Archives like the 54. I think something happened somewhere near the White House that caused this, but I'm not sure as of yet.

Fire at the Reagan building this morning, blocking 14th Street.  Grease fire at the restaurant in the building, not really any damage.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: rideonrulez on February 17, 2011, 08:36:02 AM
Forgot to mention that I saw an unidentified CUE Gillig Phantom on 7th St/F St NW around 2:30pm yesterday with "Special" on the sign probably doing a charter.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: WayneNYC on February 17, 2011, 10:45:50 AM
Looks like the "albino" New Flyer C40LFR is still with us.  I suspect it's being used by the DoD.  As usual I saw it leaving Rosslyn.  This time it appeared to be headed toward Ft Meyers, but then it turned left (possibly on to US route 50 east.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: WES on February 18, 2011, 04:58:23 PM
There was some contraption that was seen on the rear top of 6582 a few months ago.  I assume it was some sort of test, because I have seen a few more with that thing on top of it.  Saw 6330 and 6318 with them.  5411 was doing a midday U8.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: WMAveteran on February 18, 2011, 08:30:56 PM
MARC: MP36 (unit #24) on the headend of train P875 (Brunswick service) at Gaithersburg at 5:00 PM on 2/18/2010.  This movement was followed about 10 minutes later on the same track by a fast moving empty unit coal train powered by 2 ES44AC diesels.  I hope P875 didn't have any unscheduled stops (like abandoned vehicles on the tracks). 
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on February 18, 2011, 10:07:35 PM
2189 on the 54 (saw this one in person), now on the 52 according to nextbus
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: Flxible on February 19, 2011, 07:27:38 AM
Quote from: orionvii2680 on February 08, 2011, 05:57:23 PM
3023-23A. Packed beyond measures.

Looks like it's time to put a 40-footer on that route.  What else is in 3023's respective garage?
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: Flxible on February 19, 2011, 07:28:57 AM
Quote from: RideOn5905 on February 14, 2011, 06:19:40 PM
I saw an accident this morning as I was on the 55 going to Montgomery College. Then, as I was going to class, I saw 5195 with "SPECIAL" on its destination sign. It went past the main dropoff area at the front and was going towards the parking lot.

Later on, I rode 6207 on the J9; this bus makes a really loud noise whenever it brakes, kind of like 6217 does.

And finally, when I was on the 61 going home, I saw 5947 going the other way with its rear hood open.

What kind of bus is 5195, and whose bus is it?
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: Flxible on February 19, 2011, 07:30:10 AM
Quote from: WayneNYC on February 17, 2011, 10:45:50 AM
Looks like the "albino" New Flyer C40LFR is still with us.  I suspect it's being used by the DoD.  As usual I saw it leaving Rosslyn.  This time it appeared to be headed toward Ft Meyers, but then it turned left (possibly on to US route 50 east.

Wayne, do you have any pics of it, and is it a NFI demo?
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on February 19, 2011, 11:42:24 AM
Quote from: Flxible on February 19, 2011, 07:27:38 AM
Quote from: orionvii2680 on February 08, 2011, 05:57:23 PM
3023-23A. Packed beyond measures.

Looks like it's time to put a 40-footer on that route.  What else is in 3023's respective garage?

3023 runs from Four Mile Run, which is home to all of WMATA's 40-ft Orion VIIs. the 23A ALWAYS uses 40-ft buses, I guess it was one of those rare moments where they were short on buses and had to use that one (which is understandable in rush hour since FMR buses go all over the place at those times)

Quote from: Flxible on February 19, 2011, 07:28:57 AM
Quote from: RideOn5905 on February 14, 2011, 06:19:40 PM
I saw an accident this morning as I was on the 55 going to Montgomery College. Then, as I was going to class, I saw 5195 with "SPECIAL" on its destination sign. It went past the main dropoff area at the front and was going towards the parking lot.

Later on, I rode 6207 on the J9; this bus makes a really loud noise whenever it brakes, kind of like 6217 does.

And finally, when I was on the 61 going home, I saw 5947 going the other way with its rear hood open.

What kind of bus is 5195, and whose bus is it?

5195 is one of Ride-On's 2007 Champion cutaways, aka the buses that went MIA for about a year or two and finally came back a few months ago.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: Scrabbleship on February 21, 2011, 04:16:15 PM
A couple oddities from late last week:


5310 on the S2 (though artics seem to becoming a bit more common on the S's).
6429 on the S4 (at 10:00 PM!)
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on February 21, 2011, 08:00:31 PM
6416 with a FUBAR Neo tailpipe at Greenbelt this afternoon.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: RideOn5905 on March 02, 2011, 12:08:47 PM
A couple of Ride-On observations today:

5941's bike rack is missing.

5812's cord chime is now the one used in the Voith Orion VIIs and the C40LFs.
Title: Re: February 2011 Observations
Post by: rideonrulez on March 02, 2011, 01:25:39 PM
Saw Orion VII #3013 in "Driver Training" at 10th/E St NW about noon today.