DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: Tristan on October 28, 2010, 06:42:03 PM

Title: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: Tristan on October 28, 2010, 06:42:03 PM
Anybody want one?

Well...there are twelve months in a year, and more systems than that, and then if you start to count things like bus and rail separately, well.......we're gonna need some entrance criteria.

I'd like to see if we can come up with twelve beautiful photos, each trying to depict the time of year involved...like a snow picture in January or something.  Or maybe not.  Maybe the photos are presented in the order each system joined the region, like first WMATA, then Ride On, CUE, DASH, etc.

As you can tell, there aren't any real answers yet, and that's where you come in: let's come up with something as a community that we can all look at every month of the year and remember our hobby.  Twelve pictures that show the variety of transit in this region, maybe post your top favorites you've taken over the last year, I dunno...let's just see what ideas and photos we come up with as a community.
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: rideonrulez on October 28, 2010, 09:23:48 PM
For me it's about mood and motivation and I'm happy to see we have other great photographers on this board. The sad part is I ride the system everyday. I have a camera on me everyday. I get to go to places outside the office at least twice a week including bus garages and other transit terminals. But I just have no motivation to take pics because half the time I'm there for business and my focus is on just that. But I did for the first time in a long time today snapped 2 pics at Friendship Heights...So maybe, just maybe I'm getting motivated again  ::)
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: WayneNYC on October 28, 2010, 09:59:44 PM
Sounds like a good idea.  I personally need to make time to get out there and get more pics in different locations.
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: Tritransit Area on October 29, 2010, 10:32:18 AM
This would be quite nice!  I do need to go down there...sometime...  This would be a great opportunity to show off a lovely picture I took of Ride On on my "favorite" Ride On route. :)
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: aznboy4305 on October 29, 2010, 01:02:36 PM
Quote from: rideonrulez on October 28, 2010, 09:23:48 PM
But I just have no motivation to take pics because half the time I'm there for business and my focus is on just that.

Same here. Ever since I got deeply involved working in transit, I've ended up not touching my camera for months at a time. And when I do end up taking pictures, its usually for work related purposes and not hobby. Hopefully I'll TRY to bring my camera out when I'm back in the area for Thanksgiving.
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: Tristan on October 30, 2010, 08:53:57 AM
So ... any ideas for selection criteria?  Even @ 1 photo per TA, there aren't enough months in a year.
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on October 30, 2010, 11:50:50 AM
Why not see what gets submitted and then try striking a balance from there?  I think it is "Fair" that the bigger TAs get more representation.  Also, I would count Metrorail and Metrobus as separate systems, and include MARC and VRE.  Does that get you any closer to 12? 
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: Flxible on October 30, 2010, 01:52:59 PM
A calendar would be great.  I'd like to contribute pics.  Would models be a considerable subject, especially if they are pictured with a real live bus from the region?
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: aznboy4305 on October 30, 2010, 03:31:35 PM
Quote from: Tristan on October 30, 2010, 08:53:57 AM
So ... any ideas for selection criteria?  Even @ 1 photo per TA, there aren't enough months in a year.

Are you referring only to DC area TAs? I only count about 8 or so DC area TAs.
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: btconet on October 31, 2010, 01:15:17 PM
Quote from: aznboy4305 on October 30, 2010, 03:31:35 PM
Quote from: Tristan on October 30, 2010, 08:53:57 AM
So ... any ideas for selection criteria?  Even @ 1 photo per TA, there aren't enough months in a year.

Are you referring only to DC area TAs? I only count about 8 or so DC area TAs.


I guess it all depends on what you care to count...

WMATA (bus and/or rail)
DC Circulator
MoCo Ride On
PG County
Shuttle UM
ART
Dash
Cue
Fairfax Connector
PRTC Omniride
Loudon County
MTA Maryland Commuter Bus
MARC
VRE
CMRT (G & H Lines)

In a perfect world, you'd have shots representing all months and the most representational of the agencies above. 

However, it will likely be that certain months are overrepresented compared to others, i.e. more Spring photography than late November or January.  The other challenge is picking out the most ineresting agencies of those above.  Are the motorcoach commuter buses a little dull thanks to all the other tourbuses seen in DC?  Does one even entertain including a cutaway on the CMRT G? Is the closed-door nature of college services not worthy of inclusion among other open door carriers? Are branded services like REX somewhat worthy as a unique entry due to the paint scheme? Are commuter trains too much of a stretch from corner to corner transit? No one perfect answer, but lots of ways to approach it.
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on October 31, 2010, 01:29:59 PM
Why stop at 12 months? Why can't we have 24 month calendars? That way you'd have two years worth of a calendar without having to buy one every single year.
Title: Re: 2011 DCATZ Calendar
Post by: Tristan on November 01, 2010, 03:37:32 PM
You know that's not a terrible idea...or maybe a page-a-week type of thing.  I'll see what our options are.