DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: Scrabbleship on September 16, 2008, 06:26:49 PM

Title: J4 making local stops?
Post by: Scrabbleship on September 16, 2008, 06:26:49 PM
This morning at around 8:00, I was waiting for the first bus to come at my home stop for now (East-West Highway & Washington Avenue/Sundale Road) when I saw a weird sight.

A 5200 on the J4 stopping at my stop and every other one after, in lieu of its limited stop status. During all this, a J2 and a Ride On 2 passed us by and more than beat us to Silver Spring.

I've ridden the J4 many times and have never seen it run local. Was it a one-off thing? Generous driver knowing he had the capacity of an artic? Change in WMATA policy? Anyone have any ideas?
Title: Re: J4 making local stops?
Post by: Tristan on September 16, 2008, 06:47:13 PM
I'd call it a one-off.  Maybe a newer driver who didn't understand that the J4 is limited....believe it or not, that happens.

Keep your eyes on it but I doubt it'll happen again.
Title: Re: J4 making local stops?
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 16, 2008, 06:48:19 PM
It was someone new. I saw that same bus this morning when I was traveling on the J4 to Silver Spring. Probably didn't know the full details of the stop restrictions on the route.
Title: Re: J4 making local stops?
Post by: wmata employee on September 16, 2008, 07:14:38 PM
Did u get the bus number or block number because montgomery is having a driver shortage and there have been some issues with late busses so next time call the information line and let us no whats going on
202 637-7000
Title: Re: J4 making local stops?
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on September 17, 2008, 12:37:00 AM
Incorrect signage?  Was it displaying LIMITED STOP?  Did it continue on from Silver Spring?  Perhaps there was a disruption that required the use of a J4 to make local stops.
Title: Re: J4 making local stops?
Post by: Scrabbleship on September 17, 2008, 06:27:12 AM
Yes it did say "LIMITED STOP".
Yes, it did go on past Silver Spring and used the stop for runs going to College Park (also the stop for the 79) rather than the Bethesda stop.

I'd buy the disruption thing if it wasn't for the fact a J2 came two minutes later and arrived at Silver Spring two minutes before us since they went practically non-stop.
Title: Re: J4 making local stops?
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on September 17, 2008, 09:34:44 AM
But do you know when that J2 was actually meant to get to Silver Spring?  I don't know whether or not they ran local as a result of a service disruption or driver shortage or any other reason, but we might as well consider everything.

I will point out that IIRC, the J4 and J2 have the same or almost identical running time from Bethesda to Silver Spring.