DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: metroman177 on July 18, 2010, 10:58:02 AM

Title: New NF headinding your way
Post by: metroman177 on July 18, 2010, 10:58:02 AM
WAMTA # 6560 was in Tomah, WI today. I didn't have my camera but I had my droid. Enjoy
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: metroman177 on July 18, 2010, 11:00:39 AM
More pic of 6560 in Tomah.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: metroman177 on July 18, 2010, 11:03:14 AM
One mo' batch.... 8)
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on July 18, 2010, 12:41:57 PM
Sweet. Look like they took a pitstop off of 94. I wonder if they go through Chicago on 94 to head east.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: OrionFlyer on July 18, 2010, 01:54:36 PM
Wait huh? 6560? So WMATA ordered even more LFAs. The last order was an additional 48 (6510-6557).  So this 6560 must be apart of a newer one. They sure aren't wasting any time.

EDIT: Or 6560 could be a free or one of several free buses, like what happened in NYC. They got some of their Orion VII NGs for free.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on July 18, 2010, 02:30:46 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on July 18, 2010, 01:54:36 PM
Wait huh? 6560? So WMATA ordered even more LFAs. The last order was an additional 48 (6510-6557).  So this 6560 must be apart of a newer one. They sure aren't wasting any time.

EDIT: Or 6560 could be a free or one of several free buses, like what happened in NYC. They got some of their Orion VII NGs for free.
No. The 48 were the stimulus buses from 6462 on up. These are another order.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: metroman177 on July 18, 2010, 02:45:05 PM
The operator said I'd probably see alot more heading for DC, they had a pertty big order. He said about 300 buses leave the plant...took one to Canada last week.  ;)
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: metroman177 on July 18, 2010, 02:48:36 PM
300 a week that is....I know I see quite a few running east on I-94...today I was in the right place at the right time, lucky I guess.  8)
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Annex4421 on July 18, 2010, 05:16:51 PM
WOW! more LFAs I wonder where these will end up. And are they just 42LFAs?
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on July 18, 2010, 07:11:48 PM
Quote from: Southern Avenue Annex on July 18, 2010, 05:16:51 PM
WOW! more LFAs I wonder where these will end up. And are they just 42LFAs?
Just 42LFAs. The 37s were just replacements for the Orion IIs. There are still plenty of Orion 30 footers to suffice.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Scrabbleship on July 18, 2010, 07:45:33 PM
I'm amazed that WMATA's not getting more artics in this order. Montgomery and Northern could use some more and Bladensburg might be in a bind next year when the U8/R2 go back to 40'-only buses. Don't forget Landover and FMR!

I also am wondering if the current LFA order is a point of no return. When could Sarles tell New Flyer to possibly downgrade the order to LFR's to save money per bus. Your fare increase at work to preserve Catoe's fetish for buses with curves.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on July 18, 2010, 08:41:14 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 18, 2010, 07:45:33 PM
I'm amazed that WMATA's not getting more artics in this order. Montgomery and Northern could use some more and Bladensburg might be in a bind next year when the U8/R2 go back to 40'-only buses. Don't forget Landover and FMR!

I also am wondering if the current LFA order is a point of no return. When could Sarles tell New Flyer to possibly downgrade the order to LFR's to save money per bus. Your fare increase at work to preserve Catoe's fetish for buses with curves.
Maybe in a couple of years or so there might be another order of tics. Right now, Northern, Bladensburg, and Montgomery are the only ones where they need them the most. Northern is rumored to close sometime in the future given the opening of the new Southeastern garage which will support artics. FMR just doesn't have the space. As for Landover, even if some lines get good loads, given some of the assignments, the interlining would make the use of a tic unfeasable if its on a route that's low key.

Also, the choice of bus is not the GM's decision. It's Procurement and Purchasing that offer the specs and the manufacturer offers the options. To the average rider, a bus is a bus. Just matters if it comes.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Scrabbleship on July 18, 2010, 09:54:24 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 18, 2010, 08:41:14 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 18, 2010, 07:45:33 PM
I'm amazed that WMATA's not getting more artics in this order. Montgomery and Northern could use some more and Bladensburg might be in a bind next year when the U8/R2 go back to 40'-only buses. Don't forget Landover and FMR!

I also am wondering if the current LFA order is a point of no return. When could Sarles tell New Flyer to possibly downgrade the order to LFR's to save money per bus. Your fare increase at work to preserve Catoe's fetish for buses with curves.
Maybe in a couple of years or so there might be another order of tics. Right now, Northern, Bladensburg, and Montgomery are the only ones where they need them the most. Northern is rumored to close sometime in the future given the opening of the new Southeastern garage which will support artics. FMR just doesn't have the space. As for Landover, even if some lines get good loads, given some of the assignments, the interlining would make the use of a tic unfeasable if its on a route that's low key.

I thought FMR had some space for artics and somehow had to have had the space for the two for the 5A. I think space could be somehow made. As for Landover, isolate the routes that need artics the most and don't have them interline. No more F6 into a B29 garbage, IMO.

QuoteAlso, the choice of bus is not the GM's decision. It's Procurement and Purchasing that offer the specs and the manufacturer offers the options. To the average rider, a bus is a bus. Just matters if it comes.

Both parties should be lucky that the press hasn't gotten on WMATA's case of wasting millions in precious money on needless styling packages. The GM should have the right to override anyone when it comes to specs of vehicles in times of financial need (which this is one) for the sake of the good of the agency. Of course, WMATA's charter probably makes the GM a figurehead behind the board and at this point I think ATU 689 has more clout than the GM.

And people wonder why some want the feds to take over WMATA...
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: WayneNYC on July 18, 2010, 11:17:54 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 18, 2010, 09:54:24 PM
Both parties should be lucky that the press hasn't gotten on WMATA's case of wasting millions in precious money on needless styling packages. The GM should have the right to override anyone when it comes to specs of vehicles in times of financial need (which this is one) for the sake of the good of the agency. Of course, WMATA's charter probably makes the GM a figurehead behind the board and at this point I think ATU 689 has more clout than the GM.

And people wonder why some want the feds to take over WMATA...

That may be a good thing to leak to the press as the LFA styling (in my opinion) is clearly a very unnecessary expense.  In fact, I think it's a waste as there's no functional benefit of the extra length and weight of the extra plastic.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: ChristopherF on July 19, 2010, 12:13:36 PM
It looks like either Annex, Bladensburg, or Royal (or all of the above) will be getting New Flyer DE42LFA hybrids after all.  Bladensburg & Four Mile Run both have CNGs, but not hybrids.  Annex & Royal don't have hybrids at all.  But that will most likely change within the next few weeks, if not months.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: OrionFlyer on July 19, 2010, 12:28:59 PM
With that new X9 route coming soon, Bladensburg could possibly get a few in the Express scheme.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on July 19, 2010, 10:10:13 PM
I think this is the final toll for them Flxibles :(
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Annex4421 on July 20, 2010, 12:01:08 PM
Question how high are these going 6700???
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: metroman177 on August 15, 2010, 11:47:32 PM
Some FYI seen another NF "Metrobus" heading your way today at 12:00 on I-94 in Wisconsin, too far away to see the number and damn it didn't have my gun (camera) to shoot it. anyway expect another soon. Anyone seen 6050 on the streets yet?  8)
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: WES on August 16, 2010, 12:54:24 PM
It's been on the streets , can't remember the last time I saw it. 
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Tritransit Area on August 17, 2010, 09:51:28 AM
Quote from: WayneNYC on July 18, 2010, 11:17:54 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 18, 2010, 09:54:24 PM
Both parties should be lucky that the press hasn't gotten on WMATA's case of wasting millions in precious money on needless styling packages. The GM should have the right to override anyone when it comes to specs of vehicles in times of financial need (which this is one) for the sake of the good of the agency. Of course, WMATA's charter probably makes the GM a figurehead behind the board and at this point I think ATU 689 has more clout than the GM.

And people wonder why some want the feds to take over WMATA...

That may be a good thing to leak to the press as the LFA styling (in my opinion) is clearly a very unnecessary expense.  In fact, I think it's a waste as there's no functional benefit of the extra length and weight of the extra plastic.

Quite frankly, it's too bad they went with BRT styling as a standard because if they offer any "premium" services like the Extra they wouldn't have a "style" of vehicle to upgrade to.  Instead, they run to extra multicolored signs where their need is questionable.  Plus, BRT styling is wicked expensive...it's kinda hard to take WMATA's budget problems seriously when they are going "Pimp My Ride" with their buses as Metrorail is falling apart.  However, at this point, it would look wierd to get brand new buses that are your typical LFR.

The fleet is starting to look boring with all of these LFAs...sigh...
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on August 17, 2010, 12:07:51 PM
Still beats a fleet full of Orion 7s anyday. There hasn't been any really new orders for 40' HEVs for NYC lately outside of the DesignLines. They are getting another order of artics from New Flyer oddly enough.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Scrabbleship on August 17, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
I'm amazed that WMATA hasn't rejected the LFA's past a certain point like they did with what would've been the rest of the 4400-series Orion V's. It'd save them money in the long run to do so unless they're trying to replace all the Flx's.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on August 17, 2010, 04:21:57 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 17, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
I'm amazed that WMATA hasn't rejected the LFA's past a certain point like they did with what would've been the rest of the 4400-series Orion V's. It'd save them money in the long run to do so unless they're trying to replace all the Flx's.
Back then, there was no such thing as ARRA plus these were already paid for.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Scrabbleship on August 17, 2010, 04:30:16 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 17, 2010, 04:21:57 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 17, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
I'm amazed that WMATA hasn't rejected the LFA's past a certain point like they did with what would've been the rest of the 4400-series Orion V's. It'd save them money in the long run to do so unless they're trying to replace all the Flx's.
Back then, there was no such thing as ARRA plus these were already paid for.

We're past the stimulus buses at this point and WMATA could just sell options to other agencies like what the CTA recently did to MTA and OC Transpo. It isn't that hard and should be seen as an option.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Annex4421 on August 17, 2010, 04:40:11 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 17, 2010, 04:30:16 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 17, 2010, 04:21:57 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 17, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
I'm amazed that WMATA hasn't rejected the LFA's past a certain point like they did with what would've been the rest of the 4400-series Orion V's. It'd save them money in the long run to do so unless they're trying to replace all the Flx's.
Back then, there was no such thing as ARRA plus these were already paid for.

We're past the stimulus buses at this point and WMATA could just sell options to other agencies like what the CTA recently did to MTA and OC Transpo. It isn't that hard and should be seen as an option.
Or maybe WMATA is trying to get the 500 hybrid thing out of the way, after this it probably wont be another bus order for a while.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on August 17, 2010, 04:43:16 PM
Besides with this order, it is going to replace the Flxs. It's better to replace aging vehicles (especially those with a non-existant manufacturer) to cut back on the maintenance costs a little bit.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Tritransit Area on August 18, 2010, 02:32:27 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 17, 2010, 12:07:51 PM
Still beats a fleet full of Orion 7s anyday. There hasn't been any really new orders for 40' HEVs for NYC lately outside of the DesignLines. They are getting another order of artics from New Flyer oddly enough.

Artics?  I thought they were C40LFRs to replace the current C40LFs.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on August 18, 2010, 04:06:11 PM
Oh thats right. I was confusing the orders. Heh, it'd be kinda weird to see an LFR up in NYC.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: WayneNYC on August 18, 2010, 04:36:13 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 18, 2010, 04:06:11 PM
Oh thats right. I was confusing the orders. Heh, it'd be kinda weird to see an LFR up in NYC.

It's still up in the air.  Of course if NYCTA's recent (90) Nova LFS artic order is deemed to be successful, then they'd likely order more of them (for MTAB too).  I'm guessing that if the new C40LFRs improves the "relationship", then I'd look for more the MTA to buy more New Flyers.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on August 18, 2010, 04:45:47 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on August 18, 2010, 04:36:13 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 18, 2010, 04:06:11 PM
Oh thats right. I was confusing the orders. Heh, it'd be kinda weird to see an LFR up in NYC.

It's still up in the air.  Of course if NYCTA's recent (90) Nova LFS artic order is deemed to be successful, then they'd likely order more of them (for MTAB too).  I'm guessing that if the new C40LFRs improves the "relationship", then I'd look for more the MTA to buy more New Flyers.
Yea there was that. As for MTA in Baltimore, it's doubtful if they'll ever go back with NABI.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: WayneNYC on August 18, 2010, 11:33:57 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 18, 2010, 04:45:47 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on August 18, 2010, 04:36:13 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 18, 2010, 04:06:11 PM
Oh thats right. I was confusing the orders. Heh, it'd be kinda weird to see an LFR up in NYC.

It's still up in the air.  Of course if NYCTA's recent (90) Nova LFS artic order is deemed to be successful, then they'd likely order more of them (for MTAB too).  I'm guessing that if the new C40LFRs improves the "relationship", then I'd look for more the MTA to buy more New Flyers.
Yea there was that. As for MTA in Baltimore, it's doubtful if they'll ever go back with NABI.

From a purely appearance standpoint, I can't blame them.  That's one of the most hideous faces I've seen yet on a bus.
Title: Re: New NF headinding your way
Post by: Tritransit Area on August 19, 2010, 10:35:11 AM
Quote from: WayneNYC on August 18, 2010, 11:33:57 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 18, 2010, 04:45:47 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on August 18, 2010, 04:36:13 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 18, 2010, 04:06:11 PM
Oh thats right. I was confusing the orders. Heh, it'd be kinda weird to see an LFR up in NYC.

It's still up in the air.  Of course if NYCTA's recent (90) Nova LFS artic order is deemed to be successful, then they'd likely order more of them (for MTAB too).  I'm guessing that if the new C40LFRs improves the "relationship", then I'd look for more the MTA to buy more New Flyers.
Yea there was that. As for MTA in Baltimore, it's doubtful if they'll ever go back with NABI.

From a purely appearance standpoint, I can't blame them.  That's one of the most hideous faces I've seen yet on a bus.

The old style?  The new style? Both?  I guess they grew on me, with Southern NJ being dominated by the new look and SEPTA and DART having run the old look.