DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: SchuminWeb on July 09, 2010, 05:08:33 AM

Title: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: SchuminWeb on July 09, 2010, 05:08:33 AM
I recently created a page on Schumin Web that explains the differences between Metro's different rail cars with the non-railfan in mind.  Before I officially release the page, I am looking to see what the rail enthusiasts think, and what kind of adjustments you might make.

http://www.schuminweb.com/schumin-web/odds-and-ends/metro-cars.php

In creating the page, I tried to go for "now and now only".  Thus there is no mention of changes, but rather what one would see if they stepped on a Metro car for the first time today.  Thus I go for the roof numbers, and don't mention the older numbers at all (though they do show up in pictures, but I consider that unavoidable).  I also try to avoid getting too overly technical, though "bulkhead door" I found to be unavoidable due to my use of "end door" to refer to the regular doors that aren't in the center.

So let me know what you think...
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on July 09, 2010, 11:14:23 AM
Looks good to me.  The only thing I saw that I might change is that you wrote the 4000 Series side signs are identical to the 1000 Series, but you make no mention of the fact the entire sign on the 4000s is visible (as a result of the 4000s having original installation, whereas the 1000s got those signs through retrofit).
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: SchuminWeb on July 09, 2010, 11:31:07 AM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on July 09, 2010, 11:14:23 AM
Looks good to me.  The only thing I saw that I might change is that you wrote the 4000 Series side signs are identical to the 1000 Series, but you make no mention of the fact the entire sign on the 4000s is visible (as a result of the 4000s having original installation, whereas the 1000s got those signs through retrofit).

Fixed.
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: SchuminWeb on July 11, 2010, 11:24:22 PM
Thanks for your looking over.  The page is now officially released, at the above address.
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: Tritransit Area on July 11, 2010, 11:34:24 PM
Wow, looks great!  There were a lot of things that I never made note of.  For example, I never noticed on the Rohrs the single side-facing seats.  Where in the car are those located?  The opposite side of the cab?
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: Tristan on July 12, 2010, 10:18:18 AM
Too bad I didn't catch this sooner...as if there isn't enough detail here, I'd personally feel remiss if I didn't mention the wonderfully classy sponge print panels on the Rohrs :-P

Anyone watch That 70's Show or anything else that might give a clue as to what was on our collective minds, in terms of design, in 1973-6?
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on July 13, 2010, 07:55:21 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on July 11, 2010, 11:34:24 PM
Wow, looks great!  There were a lot of things that I never made note of.  For example, I never noticed on the Rohrs the single side-facing seats.  Where in the car are those located?  The opposite side of the cab?

At the non-cab end of the car, next to the last set of doors.
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: SchuminWeb on July 14, 2010, 01:41:06 PM
Will mention sponge-print panels (somewhere, not sure how yet), and didn't realize I forgot to include the location of the single seats.  That's quite an omission on my part...
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: WES on July 17, 2010, 11:12:41 AM
Unless I am blind (which I am BTW), I think a few other things not mentioned in the roofline in the 5000 series and 6000 series not having a pronounced border like the 1000 through 4000 series.  Also the 1000 series was the only railcar order to have the vents in the window sill whereas the other series (that I know of) have their vents (I assume A/C) located below the window.

Just a side note the 1000 series used both signs for the roll signs. I guess WMATA didn't feel  the need to have two electronic signs or wanted to match the 2000 series and on and only replacing one of the signs with the newer (back then) electronic signs.
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: Sand Box John on July 17, 2010, 06:13:35 PM
WES
Unless I am blind (which I am BTW), I think a few other things not mentioned in the roofline in the 5000 series and 6000 series not having a pronounced border like the 1000 through 4000 series.  Also the 1000 series was the only railcar order to have the vents in the window sill whereas the other series (that I know of) have their vents (I assume A/C) located below the window.


Not relevant to the descriptions, those vents in the window sills and on the walls are there to equalize the humidity in the walls to prevent condensation from damaging the insulation. The cool air defusers are inboard of the lights, the return air intake is in the ceiling above the bulkhead doors. The cars are heated using electric heater located behind the stainless steel box channel along the base of the walls. 

Just a side note the 1000 series used both signs for the roll signs. I guess WMATA didn't feel  the need to have two electronic signs or wanted to match the 2000 series and on and only replacing one of the signs with the newer (back then) electronic signs.

The roll signs were changed out after the Breda cars were ordered, The cost to put flip dots signs in both boxes would have cost nearly twice as much, also by not putting flip dots signs in the second box this allow WMATA to install exterior PA speakers in them.
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on July 17, 2010, 07:30:07 PM
It should be noted though that on the Rohrs, the external speaker was not installed until the mid-late 1990s, when the 2000s/3000s also got the same treatment.  The second sign just said "metrorail" for that interim period.
Title: Re: "Distinguishing Metro Rail Cars"
Post by: Sand Box John on July 17, 2010, 09:41:04 PM
WMATAGMOAGH
It should be noted though that on the Rohrs, the external speaker was not installed until the mid-late 1990s, when the 2000s/3000s also got the same treatment.  The second sign just said "metrorail" for that interim period.


That would be around the time the 1k cars were rotated out to get rehabilitated and the propulsion systems upgraded from DC traction to AC traction.