DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: Antozilla on March 26, 2010, 09:31:57 PM

Title: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: Antozilla on March 26, 2010, 09:31:57 PM
It is pretty big

http://www.dcmetrostore.com/
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: Nabinut on March 26, 2010, 10:47:35 PM
So it'll cost about $600 to duplicate the current fleet of 22 :D
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: OrionFlyer on March 27, 2010, 09:09:52 AM
You know what would make it even better? If they were to but working sign on it. It can be done with a mini LED sign; those little ones you see on soda machines/snack vending machine/scales/old credit card machines, they would fit perfectly. But the color would have to be amber.

Something like this:

http://www.vorne.com/message-displays-2000ser.htm

But like i sad before, an amber color would be better.
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on March 27, 2010, 05:57:43 PM
QuotePlease note: Model is not a toy and is not intended for children under   12 years of age.

fail  :P

but anyways, that looks pretty cool. ahh if only I had the money...
I would also get an LED sign or whatever, but then how will that work for the side and rear signs?
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: Tritransit Area on March 28, 2010, 01:57:55 PM
This is pretty nifty, and looks to be quite well done!  I'd love to get one...if I had the money, lol.

I wonder if someone has blank models available so I can put them in my own scheme.  These buses actually bend, which is great.  The previous NABI 60-BRT models did not bend at all.
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: WMAveteran on March 28, 2010, 08:05:02 PM
I ordered one.  I will give you a review when it arrives.
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: WMAveteran on March 30, 2010, 07:02:08 PM
The model arrived today by UPS.  It is really cool and constructed of molded plastic.  The red and grey colors are baked onto the model but the logos are all decals.  The model measures 16 inches long from bumper to bumper and it is 3 inches high.  For comparison the average Corgi model bus is about 8 inches long and 2 inches high.  The articulation joint actually works, all the wheels turn smoothly and on the bottom is written: "This is not a toy, and is not intended for children under 12 years of age."  It is made in China.  I will try to post some photographs later.   
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: Flxible on April 06, 2010, 02:01:16 PM
Impressive.  I'm still not a fan of the subject matter as I think the new BRTs are hideous, but the model is nicely done.  Now if I could just get WMATA to take up interest in having me do models of their "classic" buses, i.e. the Flxible Metro, Fishbowl, etc....I would have it made.  8)
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: WMAveteran on April 07, 2010, 12:38:34 AM
I second that motion.  Corgi already makes models of the GMC New Looks and Old Looks so all Metro would have to do is commission a model with a new paint job.  I don't know of any good model of the RTS series that is not a plastic bus bank. 
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: Flxible on April 09, 2010, 11:56:12 AM
Quote from: WMAveteran on April 07, 2010, 12:38:34 AM
I second that motion.  Corgi already makes models of the GMC New Looks and Old Looks so all Metro would have to do is commission a model with a new paint job.  I don't know of any good model of the RTS series that is not a plastic bus bank.

I custom paint models, and WMATA {and its predecessors, or course} is one of my specialties.  (For photo examples, see the Model Buses thread.)  If you have an existing Corgi or other model that you would like painted, please let me know. 

Funny enough, I can actually make the RTS plastic bank into a good-looking model and recently did the same for a DASH Orion V bank.  I even cut it down to 35 ft. and added Corgi wheels for detail.  I am also working on making an HO scale RTS that I will offer along with my Orion I and Gillig Phantom models.  The RTS will be available in 30, 35, and 40-foot lengths.
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: WMAveteran on April 10, 2010, 01:13:53 AM
Very cool and thank you very much.  I will be in touch. 
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: Flxible on April 12, 2010, 12:14:26 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on April 10, 2010, 01:13:53 AM
Very cool and thank you very much.  I will be in touch.

My pleasure.  Looking foward to hearing from you.

In the meantime, you can see photo examples of my work on my Facebook page in my D.C. album.

Fred Donaher
Star City Customs
DCATZ Member: Flxible
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: WMAveteran on April 17, 2010, 04:29:13 PM
If anyone is interested, there is an identical model of the BRT in Los Angeles colors at www.awesomediecast.com (http://www.awesomediecast.com/) for about $25.00. 
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: WMAveteran on April 17, 2010, 04:42:59 PM
Quote from: Flxible on April 12, 2010, 12:14:26 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on April 10, 2010, 01:13:53 AM
Very cool and thank you very much.  I will be in touch.

My pleasure.  Looking foward to hearing from you.

In the meantime, you can see photo examples of my work on my Facebook page in my D.C. album.

Fred Donaher
Star City Customs
DCATZ Member: Flxible

Fred: I have a Corgi new look (originally painted in Lionel City Bus Service livery) that I would like to have repainted into Domenico Bus Lines of New York livery.  I have a photo of a new look in the Domenico livery for reference.  How do we start the process and how much would it cost?  Thanks, Mike.   
Title: Re: Cool Metrobus Toy
Post by: C40LF_2464 on April 18, 2010, 10:27:09 AM
Quote from: WMAveteran on April 17, 2010, 04:29:13 PM
If anyone is interested, there is an identical model of the BRT in Los Angeles colors at www.awesomediecast.com (http://www.awesomediecast.com/) for about $25.00. 
A friend of mine says he ordered that and it isnt a great model. It dosent move the articulated join dosent bend etc..