DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: WMAveteran on March 12, 2010, 04:21:42 PM

Title: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: WMAveteran on March 12, 2010, 04:21:42 PM
There is a movement to turn back the proposed draconian cuts to the Fairfax Connector.  There is Facebook site you can join (Save our Buses-Dulles Corridor) and a petition to sign at www.gopetition.com/online/34495.html (http://www.gopetition.com/online/34495.html). I challenge all transit enthusiasts to register and sign (especially the bus people - this is all about buses). 
Title: Re: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: MetroLinerXLZ on March 15, 2010, 12:54:34 AM
Y'all can count my signature on that petition.
Title: Re: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: Tritransit Area on March 15, 2010, 04:07:34 PM
I hate being the jerk, but what exactly do the petitioners expect the Fairfax to do?  Just looking at the notice on the website (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/fy11.htm):

"•Fairfax Connector service cuts and fare increases are required due to the discontinuance by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) of $6.645 million in annual operating support (from Dulles Toll Road revenues) for the Dulles Express Bus Service."

It's not like the Fairfax suddenly doesn't feel like running those routes; the money simply is not there, and cuts are unavoidable.  Let's work on talking to legislatures or better yet, the MWAA, to provide adequate funding for this transit system so these routes don't have to be completely eliminated.  Complaining to the Fairfax will get the petitioners plenty of empathy, but not necessarily results unless Fairfax decides to make even more major cuts to "higher priority routes".
Title: Re: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: WMAveteran on March 16, 2010, 12:30:32 AM
The petition shows interest and solidarity and Fairfax can use it for whatever purpose it wants.  The MWAA, as a US Congress created authority, certainly does not respond to the people but Fairfax may find it useful in its conversations with the MWAA.  Is it better to have no one respond and show any interest at all?  Recently, as you know, the Montgomery County Council did not adopt a MCDOT recommendation to gut Ride On service when there was an outpouring of public support for the service in question.
Title: Re: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: Tritransit Area on March 17, 2010, 10:46:13 AM
Why not cut out the middleman and go directly to the source?  If it's a US Congress created agency, I'm sure some politician can at least look into it.  They should reach out to the people on the board of directors in my opinion - apparently they are all appointed by Virginia's Governor, the Pres. of the US, and the Mayor of DC.

Since it's outside funding that is causing these cuts, there isn't much Fairfax can do unless the county finds extra money from somewhere to fill in the hole.  They are likely unable to find that kind of money at such a short notice, unless they take away from something else.  I guess that's what the petition is calling for...although that would just create a severe deficit elsewhere.

In my opinion, it would be better to demand justification by the MWAA to see WHY they stopped funding the service instead of "beating up the local transit agency".  I'm sure Fairfax knows that people rely on the services that are being cut - its in the rider numbers, after all - but without the outside funding, there's not much they can do about it unless someone comes in to fill in the hole.

I honestly wonder if people in this petition know WHY the service is being cut...but I guess this is better than nothing as you said.  The important thing is that this petition/facebook site is bringing awareness to the situation.

By the way, I'm glad Montgomery County didn't go through with the Ride On cuts.  I wonder what the revised plan will be.
Title: Re: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on March 17, 2010, 04:34:59 PM
QuoteBy the way, I'm glad Montgomery County didn't go through with the Ride On cuts.  I wonder what the revised plan will be.

They found money from somewhere.  At some point though, these reserves are going to run out and cuts will have to be made.  A budget proposal was made this week, I think, by Ike Leggett, so my guess is hearings are called for in the near future with an implementation date on or about July 1.  And I expect the cuts to go through this time in some form.
Title: Re: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: Scrabbleship on March 17, 2010, 04:51:40 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on March 17, 2010, 04:34:59 PM
QuoteBy the way, I'm glad Montgomery County didn't go through with the Ride On cuts.  I wonder what the revised plan will be.

They found money from somewhere.

The "somewhere" was the 10 cent fare increase that they adopted to sync with Metro's fare increase. When the cuts were rumored, someone found that an increase by that amount would delay the cuts.

I still think some cuts would be better than others, namely a lot of the Nicholson routes with a lot of duplicative service that run rush hours only. As long as the 30 and 36 keep some service and the 23 and 29 don't lose weekend service (Sibley Hospital & Glen Echo will fight it), the rest of the cuts would actually make some sense. It might also finally kill the Helldorados as well.
Title: Re: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: WMAveteran on April 21, 2010, 07:44:31 PM
 The RESTONIAN reported on April 20, 2010 that Fairfax County has averted "Buspocalypse" and has included all of the Dulles Corridor and RIBS buses in the new proposed budget.  Many thanks to all of you who signed the petition because the public uproar made the difference. 
Title: Re: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: Tritransit Area on April 25, 2010, 03:02:20 PM
This is great news!  Where did they find the money, though?
Title: Re: Save our Buses - Dulles Corridor
Post by: WMAveteran on April 25, 2010, 11:58:50 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on April 25, 2010, 03:02:20 PM
This is great news!  Where did they find the money, though?

I'm not sure where they found the money.  I think they decided to find budget cuts elsewhere but remember it is now in the proposed budget and has not been passed yet.  Before it was removed from the budget completely.  If the people speak loudly enough, the politicians will listen.  The same thing happened in Montgomery County when there was a proposal to significantly decrease Ride On service.