DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: ChristopherF on September 02, 2008, 10:01:07 PM

Title: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 02, 2008, 10:01:07 PM
We are now in the month of September & I've already hit the ground running!

Here are my first bus sightings for the month of September:

RIDE ON:
995410, with the -paint scheme that can never, ever, ever be changed at any time-, on the 17 (Langley Park)
025610 no longer has the Clever Devices announcer system; that bus has recently been switched to the Orbital announcer system, like all the others
075757 on the 10 (Hillandale)

METROBUS:
9333 remains @ Landover.
9770 remains @ Montgomery.
4239 on the C4 (Twinbrook Station) & is no longer wrapped in the Hersheypark ad
4240 remains @ Arlington.
4262 remains @ Northern.
4330 remains @ Montgomery.
4349 on the 66
4378 remains @ Arlington.
2082 on the Q2 (Shady Grove Station), remains unrehabbed
2099 on the C8 (White Flint Station), remains unrehabbed
2624 on the R2 (Calverton)
2309 on the R2 (Calverton)
2340 on the R2 (Calverton)
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: LandoverDivision on September 03, 2008, 05:53:13 PM
Today, (September 3, 2008) here are my observations:

4394 on the F12
9742 on the F12
9730 on the A12
6170 on the P12
2016 on the V12
2010 on the J12
63169 (DUH BUS) on the 18
63160 (DUH BUS) on the 23
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 03, 2008, 09:25:05 PM
Metrobus

2394 79 B771 block this morning
2463 on the 80
2801 000 ARCHIVES B774 block this evening

Ride On
727 pulling into Silver Spring

PG
63162 on the 17
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WayneNYC on September 04, 2008, 12:18:39 AM
Ride On 5822 broke down on the Sam Eig Wednesday AM.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: rideonrulez on September 04, 2008, 04:15:40 PM
Ride On had a Eldorado Axess 40ft demo stop by the office today (9/4/08). It had a Cummins ISL/Allison combo with a Recaro Ergo M Operator seat with American seating in the passenger section and Twinvision sign.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: LandoverDivision on September 04, 2008, 06:04:06 PM
9730 broke down causing a major traffic jam near Cheverly Station.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 04, 2008, 08:17:56 PM
This was from a week ago and I can't believe I'm mentioning it now:

5545 was spotted at Shady Grove one afternoon. At first I thought it was a Gaithersburg bus, then I thought it might be a Nicholson bus since Chris mentioned earlier that a couple of Orion Is were transferred over there.
The signs were blank though (yeah...a big help those hammerhead signs are...they look cool though), but I'm guessing it was on the 79.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 05, 2008, 12:26:15 AM
Today

Metrobus
2801 79 B773 block (It keeps getting switched around between 771 773 and 774)
3922 on Elevator shuttle at Shaw-Howard U (7th & S entrance)

PG
63163 and 70 were at UMD in the slip next to the Student Union. The rare time I got pics of PG buses for obvious reasons. 63162 on the 17 as well

Ride On
501 12 TAKOMA with TRAINING on the bumper
762 15 LANGLEY PARK

Something is wrong with the hybrids. I'm seeing alot more exhaust smoke from these buses than any other ones on the fleet. The ISB wasn't a good choice as opposed to the ISLs.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 05, 2008, 11:48:47 PM
PRTC OMNIRIDE:
318 is now wrapped in the Virginia Lottery Dodgeball ad

RIDE ON:
995410, with the -paint scheme that can never, ever, ever be changed at any time-, on the 10 (Twinbrook)
CONFIRMED: 025610 no longer has the Clever Devices announcer system; that bus has recently been switched to the Orbital announcer system, just like all the others
995411 on the 20 (Hillandale)

METROBUS:
6139 on the NH1
6107 on the P17
4020 on the NH1
9336 on the 3B (Rosslyn Station) with an "A" block
9376 on the 83 (Cherry Hill) with a "B" block
4216 on the 86 (Calverton)
4219 on the R3 (Ft Totten)
4261 on the 2B (Ballston Station), now wrapped in the MINI ad
4262 remains @ Northern.
4349 on the 66
2022 on the F8 (Langley Park), remains unrehabbed
2054 on the 30s, remains unrehabbed
2069 on the Z8 (Silver Spring Station), remains unrehabbed
2086 on the Z8 (Silver Spring Station), now rehabbed
2092 on the C2 (Greenbelt Center), remains unrehabbed
2093 on the C8 (White Flint Station), remains unrehabbed
2629 on the 86 (Rhode Island Avenue Station)
2816 on the R2 (Calverton)
(NOTE: The party lights on 2816 look awful!)
2344 on the R4 (Brookland Station)
2632 on the 80 (Kennedy Center)
2411 on the 80 (Ft Totten)
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WMAveteran on September 06, 2008, 12:59:48 AM
Quote from: rideonrulez on September 04, 2008, 04:15:40 PM
Ride On had a Eldorado Axess 40ft demo stop by the office today (9/4/08). It had a Cummins ISL/Allison combo with a Recaro Ergo M Operator seat with American seating in the passenger section and Twinvision sign.

Cool, thank you for the photographs.  At least Eldorado is finally making an actual bus rather than converted box trucks but it would be nice if someone could produce a really radical new design for transit busses.  Something for the 21st century in the same way the fishbowl and the RTS were designed for the last century.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Tristan on September 06, 2008, 01:15:45 AM
Why is the anniversary scheme always "irreplaceable"?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: rideonrulez on September 06, 2008, 08:29:58 AM
Saw 9411 yesterday (9/5/08) on the Q2.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: OrionFlyer on September 06, 2008, 11:06:19 AM
Quote from: ChristopherF on September 05, 2008, 11:48:47 PM
METROBUS:
4216 on the 86 (Calverton)
4219 on the R3 (Ft Totten)


Montgomery does those lines too? Maybe that D40LFR I saw on the 86 that day was Montgomery's and not Landover's.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Scrabbleship on September 06, 2008, 04:02:04 PM
Quote from: NGOrion on September 06, 2008, 11:06:19 AM
Quote from: ChristopherF on September 05, 2008, 11:48:47 PM
METROBUS:
4216 on the 86 (Calverton)
4219 on the R3 (Ft Totten)


Montgomery does those lines too? Maybe that D40LFR I saw on the 86 that day was Montgomery's and not Landover's.

Why would Montgomery share lines with Bladensburg? Might these just be one-off fill-ins since isn't it a little bit of a hike from Montgomery to Calverton? I could see a K6 becoming an R3 at Fort Totten in a pinch though.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: OrionFlyer on September 06, 2008, 04:27:22 PM
They may have a been fill-in. Now that I think about it, that D40lfr I saw on the 86 that time may have been a T18 before.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: LandoverDivision on September 06, 2008, 04:32:30 PM
6175 is wrapped in the PGCC ad.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 06, 2008, 05:22:01 PM
Quote from: ChristopherF on September 05, 2008, 11:48:47 PM
METROBUS:
9336 on the 3B (Rosslyn Station) with an "A" block
9376 on the 83 (Cherry Hill) with a "B" block
4216 on the 86 (Calverton)
4219 on the R3 (Ft Totten)

1. Not that big of a deal. Arlington does run the 3B and they do have some 9300s at their disposal.
2. A 9300 happens to wind up on the 83/86 sometimes probably due to the assignment. Anything is possible at rush hour. I've seen a 3000 on this one block on the 83/86 even during rush hour. It probably runs an 82 later on in the evening.
3 and 4. I have no idea what 4200s are where since the Southeast close and Bussian roulette. I might have to update the roster for Montgomery that I have.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: OrionFlyer on September 06, 2008, 06:54:21 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on September 06, 2008, 05:22:01 PM
I've seen a 3000 on this one block on the 83/86 even during rush hour. It probably runs an 82 later on in the evening.

Must been packed like crazy.

Speaking of Rush Hour, is Bladensburg buses on the 90,92, 93 line possible?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 06, 2008, 09:18:09 PM
Quote from: NGOrion on September 06, 2008, 06:54:21 PM
Must been packed like crazy.

Speaking of Rush Hour, is Bladensburg buses on the 90,92, 93 line possible?

It is possible. I have seen some Bburg buses on those routes.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WES on September 06, 2008, 10:43:27 PM
There are a few NABI BRTs parked at Carmen E Turner, doesn't look anymore nopowers are parked there anymore, so those may have be gone for good.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 07, 2008, 12:38:47 AM
Quote from: WES on September 06, 2008, 10:43:27 PM
There are a few NABI BRTs parked at Carmen E Turner, doesn't look anymore nopowers are parked there anymore, so those may have be gone for good.

The no-powers are still at CET. They are just in the other yard. I see them when I ride past on the MARC train in the morning.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 07, 2008, 03:06:15 PM
Quote from: NGOrion on September 06, 2008, 11:06:19 AM
Quote from: ChristopherF on September 05, 2008, 11:48:47 PM
METROBUS:
4216 on the 86 (Calverton)
4219 on the R3 (Ft Totten)


Montgomery does those lines too? Maybe that D40LFR I saw on the 86 that day was Montgomery's and not Landover's.
No...4200-4219 are Bladensburg buses
Not sure if 4220-4224 are still @ Montgomery, but 4225-4239 are the Montgomery 4200s
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 08, 2008, 10:57:22 AM
METROBUS:
2077 on the C8 (White Flint Station), freshly rehabbed
2082 on the Z2 (Colesville), remains unrehabbed
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Perry on September 08, 2008, 04:52:58 PM
I guess it's probably close to the 2100 and 2200's to get rehabbed.  I don't know what more they'd do to them other than slap a fresh coat of paint. 

Glad to see the Orion VI's alive and well in MD. 
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WayneNYC on September 08, 2008, 11:52:42 PM
2811 broke down at Georgia just north of Military.  2820 (non MetroExtra bus) on the 79 this afternoon. 

On the Green Line I saw not one, but two trains of Rohr cars!  I was beginning to think the Rohrs were forbidden on the Green and permanently trapped on the Red. 

Also I rode 6014 on the Green line today.  For those who don't know... This pair is part of the test with non-capeted floors and interior grab iron similar to that used by NYCTA.  It's actally closer to the grab iron on NYCTA/MTAB buses than the subway.  I also like the larger exterior car numbers just above the brown area on the sides.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 09, 2008, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on September 08, 2008, 11:52:42 PM
2811 broke down at Georgia just north of Military.  2820 (non MetroExtra bus) on the 79 this afternoon. 

On the Green Line I saw not one, but two trains of Rohr cars!  I was beginning to think the Rohrs were forbidden on the Green and permanently trapped on the Red. 

Also I rode 6014 on the Green line today.  For those who don't know... This pair is part of the test with non-capeted floors and interior grab iron similar to that used by NYCTA.  It's actally closer to the grab iron on NYCTA/MTAB buses than the subway.  I also like the larger exterior car numbers just above the brown area on the sides.
Which reminds me...I forgot to mention that I saw 1132 and 1133 with whiter lights inside and large exterior numbers above the brown area.
I haven't seen the inside completely because that train was not headed my direction (btw this was a couple of weeks ago in Metro Center on the red line)
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Tristan on September 10, 2008, 12:45:32 AM
Metro changed the light bulbs and put bigger numbers on some cars for no apparent reason...my only guess is that they are tired of ordering one temperature for some cars and cooler ones for others.  Except for this strange greenish glow when beige and cold white mix together, there's no real difference inside.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 10, 2008, 11:05:32 PM
Metrobus

2196 on the D6 @ Union Station(WD60 block)
3929 K1 @ WRAMC

Ride On
729 on the 16 towards Takoma on Piney Branch
501 on the 15 towards Langley Park right behind 729
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: LandoverDivision on September 11, 2008, 05:38:33 PM
Quote from: Tristan on September 10, 2008, 12:45:32 AM
Metro changed the light bulbs and put bigger numbers on some cars for no apparent reason...my only guess is that they are tired of ordering one temperature for some cars and cooler ones for others.  Except for this strange greenish glow when beige and cold white mix together, there's no real difference inside.

Yeah. When I was at P.G Plaza Station, I noticed the larger numbers on Alstom cars. I seen the 4000 series cars with the larger numbers, but I didn't expect to see them on the Alstoms.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WES on September 11, 2008, 08:02:36 PM
I saw ROHR 1000 with the larger numbers parked in the New Carrollton yard today.

Also parked in the yard but seen yesterday was 2811 that broke down on Tuesday, I guess it needed the day off.

And in the you can't be serious segment, DUH BUS may still have an ODV running...........yes I said there maybe an ODV still running.  I saw an ODV on what looked to be running on the 22 heading into the Landover Mall site this morning, but too far to see if it had passengers or even if it was if still had and THE BUS decals on it.  So be on the lookout there maybe an ODV still running, there is still maybe a chance to get your last rides on one *snickers* .
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 12, 2008, 01:08:02 PM
RIDE ON:
Some Orion V & Orion VII bus models now have ads covering their rear engine doors!

METROBUS:
6139 on the NH1
4020 on the NH1
4349 on the 66
9345 remains @ Landover.
9371 remains @ Landover.
9385 on the F4 (Silver Spring Station) with an "L" block
9767 remains @ Montgomery.
4205 on the 83 (Cherry Hill) & is now rear-wrapped in the PGCC ad
CONFIRMED: 4239 on the C2 (Greenbelt Center) & is no longer wrapped in the Hersheypark ad.
4240 remains @ Arlington.
4340 on the 30s, still wrapped in the Friends of the Berlin Airlift 60th Anniversary ad with www.Germany.info on the back
4378 on the 3A (Rosslyn Station)
2063 on the 42, remains unrehabbed
2073 on the C8 (White Flint Station), recently rehabbed
2077 broke down on Randolph Rd & Glenmont Cir while on C8 (White Flint Station), freshly rehabbed
2078 on the C2 (Wheaton Station), remains unrehabbed
2082 on the J4, remains unrehabbed
2092 on the J4, remains unrehabbed
2093 on the C2 (Wheaton Station), remains unrehabbed
2096 on the C8 (College Park Station), remains unrehabbed
2139 on a 90s route, now wrapped in the Chevron ad
2356 on the R2 (Calverton) & is now the LOWEST numbered '01 New Flyer C40LF WITHOUT the on-board security cameras
2378 on the 86 (Calverton) & is now the HIGHEST numbered '01 New Flyer C40LF with the on-board security cameras
'01 New Flyer C40LF with cameras: 2300-2355, 2357, 2378
6140-6178: LANDOVER
6179-6217: MONTGOMERY
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 12, 2008, 07:50:21 PM
Metrobus

2824 R3 (BR03) @ PG Plaza
2801 000 ARCHIVES (B771) @ Silver Spring
(The Clever Devices system on alot of buses have been malfunctioning alot lately)

Ride On
729 16 @ Fenton & Thayer

PG
63169 18 @ Hamilton & Qns Chapel
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 14, 2008, 11:30:54 AM
RIDE ON:
995411 on the 20 (Hillandale)

METROBUS:
9397 remains @ Royal.
From which Metrobus garage does 6110 operate out of?
6139 on the NH1
2046 on the 30s
2044 on the 30s
2419 on the R4 (Brookland Station)
2440 on the 80 (Kennedy Center)
2411 on the 80 (Ft Totten)
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: LandoverDivision on September 14, 2008, 02:59:48 PM
6110 is out of Annex.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: LandoverDivision on September 14, 2008, 04:13:02 PM
Oh yeah, the other day, I spotted 4031 on the F14 and I have a video of it.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 14, 2008, 07:26:10 PM
RIDE ON:
075757 on the 5 (Silver Spring)

METROBUS:
From which Metrobus garage(s) do the 1990 Flxibles -- 40' with wheelchair lifts only -- operate out of?
(NOTE: WMATA's 1990 Flxibles -- 40' without wheelchair lifts -- retired in 2006, leaving only the units with wheelchair lifts.)
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WES on September 14, 2008, 07:37:35 PM
You could have just said the 1990 Flxes.  Practically every  garage has at least a few.  Nobody knows really who has what and they are still being switched between garages.  The only garage that doesn't have them is FMR.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 17, 2008, 09:59:04 AM
5714 IS BACK IN SERVICE!

I saw it yesterday at the intersection of Monroe St/Monroe Pl outside of Rockville Sta...the sign said "49 Glenmont" so apparently it wasn't on the 47 (or maybe they interlined). It wasn't orange-crushed and it looked like any other 5700 (from the outside at least).

Speaking of interlining, I noticed that the 55 and 74 interline now. A couple of days ago I rode 5709 northbound on the 74, which apparently became the 55 once I arrived to GTC (apparently the front sign wasn't working but the side said "59 Rockville")

Then yesterday I rode the 5834 on the 55 to GTC and...what do u know...it became the 74. Apparently this was a good use of a 40-ft bus because this was in the morning and plenty of people actually boarded the 74 along the way, usually I find the 74 empty most of the time, even sometimes in Rush Hr.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 17, 2008, 12:03:17 PM
Metrobus
2820 R4 (BR04) @ PG Plaza
4391 F6 @ PG Plaza
2024 F+4= NEW CARROLLTON @ PG Plaza

Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 17, 2008, 02:00:13 PM
RIDE ON:
975409, with the -paint scheme that can never, ever, ever be changed at any time-, on the 17 (Silver Spring)
995410, with the -paint scheme that can never, ever, ever be changed at any time-, on the 16 (Takoma)

METROBUS:
6139 on the NH1
4020 on the NH1
4349 on the 36 (Friendship Heights) & later on the 66
9318 on the 3B (Rosslyn Station)
9382 remains @ Landover.
9385 remains @ Landover.
4203 on the 83 (Cherry Hill)
4205 on the R1
4310 remains @ Northern.
4378 remains @ Arlington.
4399 remains @ Montgomery.
2082 on the C4 (Twinbrook Station), remains unrehabbed
2096 on the Q2 (Shady Grove Station), remains unrehabbed
22nn is now wrapped in the Chevron ad, just like 2139
2516 on the 4H
2554 on the 38B & is now in the NGV wrap
2573 on the 3A (Annandale)
2602, still WITHOUT the 38B banner, on the 4A
2604 on the 28A (Tysons Corner)
2703 on the 5A & is now in the NGV wrap
6011 on the F8 (Langley Park)
2407 on the R2 (Calverton)
2308 on the R2 (Calverton)
Some MetroExtra buses now have ads.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 18, 2008, 10:47:54 AM
Ride On
501 12 @ Silver Spring
543 15 @ Silver Spring
I haven't seen a hammerhead for a while
728 11 @ Silver Spring
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 18, 2008, 11:02:48 AM
RIDE ON:
995411 on the 10 (Hillandale)

METROBUS:
6139 on the NH1
6107 on the NH1
4349 on the 66
9375 on the R2 (Ft Totten) with a "B" block
9772 remains @ Bladensburg.
4206 on the R3 (Ft Totten)
2018 on the F8, remains unrehabbed
2069 on the Z2, remains unrehabbed
2078 on the Z8, remains unrehabbed
2151 on the S2 & is now wrapped in the Chevron ad
6140-6178: LANDOVER
6179-6217: MONTGOMERY
2449 on the R2 (Calverton)
2397 on the 86 (Calverton)
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on September 21, 2008, 10:05:16 AM
Why is the paint on 5409 and 5410 "irreplacable"?

What is the big deal about Bladensburg having diesel buses in addition to its CNG fleet?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: LandoverDivision on September 21, 2008, 04:28:25 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on September 21, 2008, 10:05:16 AM
Why is the paint on 5409 and 5410 "irreplacable"?

What is the big deal about Bladensburg having diesel buses in addition to its CNG fleet?

The 5400s are CNG if that's what you're referring to.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 21, 2008, 05:12:30 PM
Quote from: landoverdivision on September 21, 2008, 04:28:25 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on September 21, 2008, 10:05:16 AM
Why is the paint on 5409 and 5410 "irreplacable"?

What is the big deal about Bladensburg having diesel buses in addition to its CNG fleet?

The 5400s are CNG if that's what you're referring to.

Ride On 5409 and 5410.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WayneNYC on September 21, 2008, 06:25:10 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on September 21, 2008, 10:05:16 AM
Why is the paint on 5409 and 5410 "irreplacable"?

What is the big deal about Bladensburg having diesel buses in addition to its CNG fleet?

Re: Ride On 5409 & 5410.  Agreed.  I questioned that term too.  We all know they're the specially painted anniversary buses, but I don't know what makes their paint scheme "irreplacable".

Bladensburg diesels:  I'd have to agree again, because from day one of the CNG buses at WMATA, Bladensburg has always had a few (non artic) diesels.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 21, 2008, 08:51:40 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on September 21, 2008, 06:25:10 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on September 21, 2008, 10:05:16 AM
Why is the paint on 5409 and 5410 "irreplacable"?

What is the big deal about Bladensburg having diesel buses in addition to its CNG fleet?

Re: Ride On 5409 & 5410.  Agreed.  I questioned that term too.  We all know they're the specially painted anniversary buses, but I don't know what makes their paint scheme "irreplacable".

Bladensburg diesels:  I'd have to agree again, because from day one of the CNG buses at WMATA, Bladensburg has always had a few (non artic) diesels.

That's just like how FMR has C001-C004 which are diesel cutaways and its mostly a CNG facility. Remember, Metro only got into CNG in 2001.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Perry on September 21, 2008, 11:55:49 PM
I think those cutaways are there only due to convenience of operating TAGS.  If Royal was a 7 day a week garage, they'd probably be there.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Tristan on September 22, 2008, 12:07:04 AM
Actually it's C005-C010 now -- those old Ford/Startrans POSes are long gone.  Now it's...well it's Chevy/Startrans POSes but that's not the point.  I guess our roster needs updating.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 22, 2008, 01:05:59 PM
Metrobus

2597 70 @ Georgia & New Hampshire
followed by
2436 79 @ Georgia & New Hampshire
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 22, 2008, 01:31:09 PM
RIDE ON:
965397 on the 20 (Hillandale)
945361 on the 10 (Twinbrook)
945362 on the 10 (Hillandale)

METROBUS:
6110 on the NH1
6139 on the NH1
4020 on the A2
6107 on the A2
4349 on the 66
9362 on the 83
9411 on the J4 with an "M" block
4210 on the 86 (Calverton)
4213 on the R2 (Ft Totten)
4310 remains @ Northern.
4330 remains @ Montgomery & is now wrapped in the blue & white Chevron ad.
4396 remains @ Montgomery.
2078 on the C2 (Greenbelt Center), remains unrehabbed
2197 on the 36 (Friendship Heights)
2411 on the R4 (Brookland Station)
2372 on the 80 (Kennedy Center)
2634 on the 83 (Cherry Hill)
2632 on the 86 (Calverton)
2818 on the 86 (Rhode Island Avenue Station)
2410 on the 80 (Ft Totten)
2361 on the 80 (Kennedy Center)
2369 on the 80 (Ft Totten)
2362 on the R2 (Calverton)
5412 (NABI CNG articulated) recently did a test run on Riggs Rd in Adelphi.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on September 22, 2008, 04:16:21 PM
Quote from: ChristopherF on September 22, 2008, 01:31:09 PM
RIDE ON:
(96)5397 on the 20 (Hillandale)
(94)5361 on the 10 (Twinbrook)
(94)5362 on the 10 (Hillandale)

METROBUS:
6110 on the NH1
6139 on the NH1
4020 on the A2
6107 on the A2
4349 on the 66
9362 on the 83
9411 on the J4 with an "M" block
4210 on the 86 (Calverton)
4213 on the R2 (Ft Totten)
4310 remains @ Northern.
4330 remains @ Montgomery & is now wrapped in the blue & white Chevron ad.
4396 remains @ Montgomery.
2078 on the C2 (Greenbelt Center), remains unrehabbed
2197 on the 36 (Friendship Heights)
2411 on the R4 (Brookland Station)
2372 on the 80 (Kennedy Center)
2634 on the 83 (Cherry Hill)
2632 on the 86 (Calverton)
2818 on the 86 (Rhode Island Avenue Station)
2410 on the 80 (Ft Totten)
2361 on the 80 (Kennedy Center)
2369 on the 80 (Ft Totten)
2362 on the R2 (Calverton)
5412 (NABI CNG articulated) recently did a test run on Riggs Rd in Adelphi.

Can you please answer our questions???
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: OrionFlyer on September 23, 2008, 01:27:15 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on September 22, 2008, 01:05:59 PM
Metrobus

2597 70 @ Georgia & New Hampshire
followed by
2436 79 @ Georgia & New Hampshire

2597 on the 70 line? Since when does four mile run do the 70?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WayneNYC on September 23, 2008, 03:15:11 PM
Quote from: NGOrion on September 23, 2008, 01:27:15 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on September 22, 2008, 01:05:59 PM
Metrobus

2597 70 @ Georgia & New Hampshire
followed by
2436 79 @ Georgia & New Hampshire

2597 on the 70 line? Since when does four mile run do the 70?

When you spot something strange like this... It's probably a bus filling in for the regular bus that should've made the trip.  Remember, stuff happens and when it does they'll get nearest available bus to make the trip(s).  It doesn't really matter if the bus if from another division, though I imagine in some cases it could be a union issue.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: BladensburgB2 on September 23, 2008, 05:18:36 PM
Hello everyone

92-P985 9320 (which was really a good treat)
90-N932 4345
90-N915 4279
96-NJ07 2159
90-N930 4299
92-N934 4281
90-N909 2150
92-N908 2114
92-N938 9780
90-N933 4301
M5-PM55 4021
N22-FN94 2594
P2-BP14 2624
32-W313 4350
W2-PW04 3926
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Scrabbleship on September 23, 2008, 07:22:26 PM
You saw 2436 on the 79 yesterday afternoon? I saw it yesterday morning, around 7:20, resting at Silver Spring. Took a couple pictures too.

This evening I saw, and nearly rode, 2820 on the 79, first heading back into Silver Spring then heading down 9th Street.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 24, 2008, 11:19:50 AM
I actually asked a question to Ride On about replacing the Silver Anniversary scheme on bus #'s 975409 & 995410 a couple of years back.  I was told that Ride On will not repaint those 2 buses back into the blue-and-white scheme & that they must remain in the Silver Anniversary scheme through their retirement.  As a result, the Silver Anniversary scheme on Ride On bus #'s 975409 & 995410 are irreplaceable.  Now the observations:

RIDE ON:
075761 on the 10 (Hillandale)

METROBUS:
4349 on the 42 (Metro Center) & later on the 66
9362 on the 86 (Calverton)
9764 on the C9 with an "M" block
9802 on the C8 (College Park Station) with an "M" block
2079 on the C8 (White Flint Station), not sure if this was a recent rehab
4213 on the R2 (Ft Totten)
2373 on the R2 (Calverton & then to Ft Totten)
2372 on the R2 (Calverton)
4204 on the R2 (Calverton)

NOTES:
Some Metrobuses -- particularly the New Flyers (CNGs, hybrids or clean diesels) now have the Magic Johnson/Aetna banner ad, which are similar to the ones first seen earlier this year.  Some of the New Flyer CNGs, including 2410, still have the Magic Johnson/Aetna banner ad from last spring.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: wmata employee on September 24, 2008, 11:56:26 AM
Regards to 2597 coach seen on the 70's that is a block thats comes off the 37 line in the rush periods it starts at half&0 streets then go in service to silver spring then it does a trip going towards archives then "NOT IN SERVICE" back to the division.

we do not have bus fill ins the system had a big fleet of staff sometimes we have shortages in buses but things happpen. so dont be suprised if u see a division doing an unsual route.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on September 24, 2008, 07:22:59 PM
Quoteactually asked a question to Ride On about replacing the Silver Anniversary scheme on bus #'s (97)5409 & (99)5410 a couple of years back.  I was told that Ride On will not repaint those 2 buses back into the blue-and-white scheme & that they must remain in the Silver Anniversary scheme through their retirement.  As a result, the Silver Anniversary scheme on Ride On bus #'s (97)5409 & (99)5410 are irreplaceable.

They must remain in that scheme forever?  Are you sure they simply didn't say there were no plans to repaint them at that time?  Does anyone else agree with me and think that when Ride-On develops a new scheme that is "ad friendly" it wouldn't be out of the question for those buses to be repainted?  Of course, only time will tell...
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WayneNYC on September 24, 2008, 08:00:43 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on September 24, 2008, 07:22:59 PM
Quoteactually asked a question to Ride On about replacing the Silver Anniversary scheme on bus #'s (97)5409 & (99)5410 a couple of years back.  I was told that Ride On will not repaint those 2 buses back into the blue-and-white scheme & that they must remain in the Silver Anniversary scheme through their retirement.  As a result, the Silver Anniversary scheme on Ride On bus #'s (97)5409 & (99)5410 are irreplaceable.

They must remain in that scheme forever?  Are you sure they simply didn't say there were no plans to repaint them at that time?  Does anyone else agree with me and think that when Ride-On develops a new scheme that is "ad friendly" it wouldn't be out of the question for those buses to be repainted?  Of course, only time will tell...

Agreed.  A couple of years ago that would simply put 5409 & 5410 in with all other Ride On buses.  Since Ride On doesn't seem to repaint their buses one could argue that all of them have "irreplacable" paint schemes.  I also agree that whenever Ride On comes up with a new scheme they'll probably repaint all buses (including 5409/10).  However, they'd probably not waste money repainting any buses that may be close to retirement.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Perry on September 24, 2008, 10:12:34 PM
I concur with those observations.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 25, 2008, 07:11:40 AM
Quote from: BladensburgB2 on September 23, 2008, 05:18:36 PM
Hello everyone

92-P985 9320 (which was really a good treat)
90-N932 4345
90-N915 4279
96-NJ07 2159
90-N930 4299
92-N934 4281
90-N909 2150
92-N908 2114
92-N938 9780
90-N933 4301
M5-PM55 4021
N22-FN94 2594
P2-BP14 2624
32-W313 4350
W2-PW04 3926

Does Annex do the 92 often?

Also, what ever happened to 2097?
That question you may have asked long ago...I'm guessing we all thought it was dead at CET...
that is...until I saw it at Silver Spring 2 days ago and rode it on the Q2

I couldn't believe it, I thought that bus was a goner. (I have pictures, I'll post them up later I guess)
(BTW yes it's rehabbed (rehab #1220 to be exact))
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Tristan on September 25, 2008, 08:06:44 AM
Well I guess since they were rehabbing Orion VIs anyway, they just went ahead and rehabbed that one...albeit it was a harder job ;)
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: wmata employee on September 25, 2008, 07:07:38 PM
Annex has 4 blocks on the 90/92. 2 in the morning 2 in the afternoon.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 25, 2008, 11:37:29 PM
Metrobus

2517 70 (N714) @ Silver Spring
5307 S2 (NS36) @ Georgia & Alaska
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: rideonrulez on September 26, 2008, 09:38:26 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on September 25, 2008, 11:37:29 PM
Metrobus

2517 70 (N714) @ Silver Spring

2525 70 (N714) @ Silver Spring this morning (9/26/08)
3013 Driver Training @ Silver Spring
9828 L8 @ Connecticut & Veirs Mill with "L8 Kettering" on the sign LOL That's a long route!!
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 26, 2008, 11:14:53 AM
METROBUS:
9768 remains @ Montgomery.
4261 on the 3B (Falls Church Station)
4330 remains @ Montgomery.
2165 -- now with Luminator destination signs -- on the S2 (Federal Triangle) with an "N" block
2176 is now wrapped in the www.Germany.info Website ad (see that Website for more)
2525 on the 70 (Silver Spring Station) with an "F" block
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: OrionFlyer on September 26, 2008, 11:40:24 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on September 25, 2008, 11:37:29 PM
Metrobus

2517 70 (N714) @ Silver Spring


Why does a Four Mile Run bus have an N block? I was told that the Four Mile does a run on the 70 but why is it an N block instead of an F block?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: wmata employee on September 26, 2008, 01:18:18 PM
The reason why your seeing those buses because Northern borrowed 3 of them just for this week,they will go back to their home garage.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: wmata employee on September 26, 2008, 01:24:17 PM
also when the new buses come Northern will get low floor buses so the orion cng's were only there for testing on routes to see if they can handle  heavy lines.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on September 26, 2008, 05:40:28 PM
How were they fueled over the course of the week?  Did they get driven back to FMR or to Bladensburg each night?  Why did they have to send Orion VII/CNGs instead of sending a New Flyer HEV or Orion VI that requires "standard" fuel?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Tristan on September 26, 2008, 06:14:46 PM
I guess it depends on what garage has 3 buses they can afford to send...
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WES on September 26, 2008, 11:06:00 PM
There maybe a NABI BRT in service already, but not on regular route.  This one, that was in the regular bus line up at Bladensburg, maybe doing a school run on possibly the M31 that runs from R.I. Ave Station to McKinley Tech High school.  It maybe either the last trip or the next to last trip leaving RI, I can't remember since I haven't exactly seen it running that run yet.  That route does use artics on it so it would be no surprise if that was on it.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 27, 2008, 10:28:31 AM
Yesterday, I mentioned in this thread that WMATA Metrobus 2176 is now wrapped in the www.Germany.info Website ad.  There will be a "Spot the Bus" contest in which you can win prizes by taking a photo of that bus.  That contest will coincide with the relaunch of the www.Germany.info Website, which will happen this Friday, October 3.  Please be on the lookout for WMATA Metrobus 2176 on Western-based routes, such as the 30s.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Perry on September 27, 2008, 11:26:06 AM
They've done that contest before.  I wonder how many people have participated in it besides the nuts on this board?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Tristan on September 27, 2008, 02:18:39 PM
I bet even half or more of us wouldn't
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 27, 2008, 03:10:24 PM
The 6300s

Thats what they will be numbered.

Yesterday at around 11:20 am I was going south on I-270 and saw WMATA 6301 (BRT Hybrid with new scheme) heading northbound. That bus looks sweet, I can't wait to see more
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 29, 2008, 10:27:01 PM
Saw 5501 today at around 11:10 at Montgomery College Germantown on the 55 southbound.

For one thing...the 55 is mostly a 40-ft bus route, rarely 35-ft on weekdays and even rarer (if thats a word, lol) 30-ft.
Plus the fact that based on other's observations, 5501 was recently a Silver Spring bus
Oh and there's more...the signs don't work and on the back of the bus it says "TRAINING" in large yellow letters (this was pretty much the first time I saw this bus up close and personal)

Unforfunately I didn't have my camera and I really should have rode it because the Orion Is are on the verge of extinction and even though it was extremely crowded and was heading the opposite direction of where I wanted to go, I still think I should have rode it.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Scrabbleship on September 29, 2008, 11:04:08 PM
I think I have a couple pictures of 5501 on the 26 at White Flint from August somewhere on my camera.

Two oddities from today: 9760 on the 60 at Georgia Avenue-Petworth (this must be one of the Metro-D's that Western is borrowing from Northern) and a 2100 on the D6 at E & 8th NW. Is it normal for Northern (or Western) to do blocks on the D6?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 30, 2008, 09:34:50 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on September 29, 2008, 11:04:08 PM
I think I have a couple pictures of 5501 on the 26 at White Flint from August somewhere on my camera.

Two oddities from today: 9760 on the 60 at Georgia Avenue-Petworth (this must be one of the Metro-D's that Western is borrowing from Northern) and a 2100 on the D6 at E & 8th NW. Is it normal for Northern (or Western) to do blocks on the D6?

I haven't heard anything about Western getting some D6 runs. I have seen quite a few Western buses on D6 runs primarily in the evenings when I'm at Union Station.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: rideonrulez on September 30, 2008, 10:45:51 AM
Quote from: George on September 29, 2008, 10:27:01 PM
Saw 5501 today at around 11:10 at Montgomery College Germantown on the 55 southbound.

All remaining Orion I's have been transferred to Gaithersburg except one that is still at Nicholson. I saw 5543 at Lakeforest Transit Center yesterday (9/29/08) on the 61. Good to see the Hammerhead Orion I's back at there original home.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 30, 2008, 10:53:58 AM
RIDE ON:
085729 on the 20 (Silver Spring)
965394 on the 20 (Hillandale)

METROBUS:
6110 on the NH1
6139 on the NH1
4020 on the NH1
4349 on the 66
9489, still in the old 2nd scheme, on the 26A
9768 remains @ Montgomery.
4206 on the 86 (Calverton)
4261 on the 3B (Falls Church Sta)
4262 remains @ Northern.
4310 remains @ Northern.
4330 remains @ Montgomery.
4396 remains @ Montgomery.
4397 remains @ Montgomery.
2558 is now in the NGV wrap
2610 on the 38B (Farragut Square)
2626 -- 1 of only 2 Bladensburg Orion VIIs WITHOUT the NGV wrap -- on the 86 (Rhode Island Avenue Station)
2394 on the R4 (Brookland Station)
2411 on the 80 (Kennedy Center)
2453 on the 80 (Ft Totten)
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Tristan on September 30, 2008, 11:15:05 AM
4358 remains @ Royal with the irreplaceable, annoying, ugly Nationwide insurance ad...the orange one with the back that is completely white sans for a blue square.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: ChristopherF on September 30, 2008, 12:06:50 PM
4271 & 4378 had the same exact Nationwide ad wraps removed earlier this year.  And 4358 could be next...
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Tristan on September 30, 2008, 04:54:20 PM
I was joking about "irreplaceable" - of course they will eventually remove it, it's just been there so long that it's starting continuing to look really bad, yet it's still there.  I wonder if it is even under contract anymore.  Knowing WMATA, anything's possible.

Wait, is saying that WMATA is capable of anything giving them too much credit?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: rideonrulez on September 30, 2008, 09:13:57 PM
I saw a cutaway (5290) on the 16 to Takoma this evening  :o There were actually two blocks with cutaways that were suppose to be regular buses this evening. We managed to switch one out (9/30/08) around 7pm.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Scrabbleship on October 01, 2008, 06:23:40 AM
Quote from: rideonrulez on September 30, 2008, 09:13:57 PM
I saw a cutaway (5290) on the 16 to Takoma this evening  :o There were actually two blocks with cutaways that were suppose to be regular buses this evening. We managed to switch one out (9/30/08) around 7pm.

Would that be related in any way to the cutaway I saw on the 5 on Connecticut in Kensington yesterday during rush hour?
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: rideonrulez on October 01, 2008, 10:04:18 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 01, 2008, 06:23:40 AM
Quote from: rideonrulez on September 30, 2008, 09:13:57 PM
I saw a cutaway (5290) on the 16 to Takoma this evening  :o There were actually two blocks with cutaways that were suppose to be regular buses this evening. We managed to switch one out (9/30/08) around 7pm.

Would that be related in any way to the cutaway I saw on the 5 on Connecticut in Kensington yesterday during rush hour?

LOL Yea, That was the one we replaced when he got back to Silver Spring. Unfortunately I had to drive the cutaway he had back to base after I gave him 5623.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Tristan on October 01, 2008, 11:56:08 AM
Aagh you've been tainted!!!
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: Perry on October 01, 2008, 03:32:34 PM
Chris was tainted YEARS ago. LOL

It looks like PRTC is going to get some new buses again soon.  The Orion V's are going out for mid-life rehab and now the first batch of the 300-series MCI's are getting ready.  Hard to believe they're that old already.  I don't know what they're going to do when the Orions are retired.  I wish they'd go to a double-door bus which I suggested while there but they want the extra seating capacity.  It would make the dwell time at Franconia Springfield so much shorter if they did that though.
Title: Re: September 2008 Observations
Post by: WES on October 02, 2008, 09:45:27 PM
Would any of the drivers know how to operate a back door at PRTC.  I mean they briefly had the two ex-WMATA Gilligs, but that was a while ago, but would they know how to operate the back doors  ;D