DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: Annex4421 on January 05, 2010, 07:19:55 AM

Title: CNG Buses
Post by: Annex4421 on January 05, 2010, 07:19:55 AM
I've heard that CNG buses only last for 12 years, if so that means the C40LF's have 3 years left in them, and they were my number 1 pic to debut out of the new SE facility in 2 years, so if CNG's last for 12 years if this is true, then why doesn't agencies just stick to hybrids or clean diseals?
Title: Re: CNG Buses
Post by: Antozilla on January 05, 2010, 08:27:26 AM
There is no such thing as a clean diesel and have you factored in rehab?  How long until I am free of the Orion VIIs?
Title: Re: CNG Buses
Post by: Nabinut on January 05, 2010, 09:06:43 AM
That 12 year rule only applies to buses built before 2000. Since then, it's been extended to 18 years
Title: Re: CNG Buses
Post by: OrionFlyer on January 05, 2010, 09:31:03 AM
I think the C40LFs are going to be around for a long time. They're in good shape.
Title: Re: CNG Buses
Post by: Tritransit Area on January 05, 2010, 10:04:56 AM
Honestly, I think those C40LFs are one of WMATA's best running buses!  I never hear anything bad about them.

By the way, the "12 year rule" really applies to the tanks, rather than the bus itself.  As Nabinut said, later buses were built with tanks that could last longer, although I thought it was only 15 years.

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult, however, to simply replace the tanks, would it?
Title: Re: CNG Buses
Post by: Annex4421 on January 05, 2010, 11:09:08 AM
Quote from: Antozilla on January 05, 2010, 08:27:26 AM
There is no such thing as a clean diesel and have you factored in rehab?  How long until I am free of the Orion VIIs?
What do you think the D40LFRs and the Gillig Advantages are, they don't leave behind stinky smells like the flxibles, and about the Orion VII's you might want to ask metro on that one you might stuck with forever.
Title: Re: CNG Buses
Post by: Tristan on January 05, 2010, 03:38:20 PM
Antonzilla is just being "political" - he knows that there is a technology called "clean diesel", he just doesn't agree that diesel could be considered clean no matter how clean it actually is.

Thought I'd put that out there now to stem any long, drawn out discussion over stuff everyone knows already.