DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: WMATAGMOAGH on January 01, 2010, 08:02:43 AM

Title: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on January 01, 2010, 08:02:43 AM
There are a few threads like this over on Subchat, so I thought it might be fun to start one here.  Basically, post your best photos from the past year, either because you like them, they are great shots, have some sort of sentimental value, or any other reason you can justify.  However, try to keep the number of photos reasonable (i.e. 20-25 is probably a good maximum target to have).  Both buses and trains are fair game.  Additionally, feel free to post photos from outside the DC Area (I think it makes sense to just have a single Best of 2009 thread, and since the DC Transit Today section probably gets the most reads, might as well do it here, if the mods want to move this elsewhere since it isn't strictly only DC they obviously can do so at their own discretion).

The total amount of time that I spent in the DC area this year is probably best measured in days, so most of my photos are from elsewhere:

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpdccars/dcalstom19.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpdccars/dccng50.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpdccars/metrob35.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpdccars/dccng54.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpdccars/dcde42lfa5.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpdccars/dcnabibrt1.jpg)

RIP Route 90 to Milestone:
(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otprideonpics/ro9698orion11.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpnycpics/r14268.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpnycpics/lov10.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpnycpics/r175.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpnycpics/r176.jpg)

RIP R40s:
(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpnycpics/r4036.jpg)

RIP Old South Ferry:
(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpnycpics/nycsta82.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpnycpics/nycsta83.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpbospics/bosg42.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otptcatpics/newflyer37.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpisraelpics/jlemmanartic24.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpisraelpics/jlemmb5.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpisraelpics/jlemlightraillrv5.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpistanbulpics/t1tram28.jpg)

(http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpistanbulpics/t1tram27.jpg)

Happy (Gregorian) New Year to everyone at DCATZ!
Title: Re: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: WayneNYC on January 01, 2010, 12:59:22 PM
Happy New Year everyone.  Here are a few of my 2009 favs.

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NYCTA/CSC_0204.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Baltimore%20MTA/DSC00536.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Bee%20Line/CSC_0033.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/CTA/DSC00869.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/CTA/DSC00901.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/CTA/DSC01009.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/CTA/DSC01020.jpg)


(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Greyhound/CSC_0066.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/MTA-LI%20Bus/CSC_0183.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/MTA%20Bus/DSC_0119.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/MTA%20Bus/CSC_0179.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/MTA%20Bus/CSC_0194.jpg)


(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NJTransit/CSC_0071.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NJTransit/DSC09624.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NJTransit/DSC09648.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NJTransit/DSC09218.jpg)


(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NYCTA/CSC_0170.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NYCTA/CSC_0198.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NYCTA/CSC_0199.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NYCTA/CSC_0046.jpg)


(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NYCTA/DSC_0010.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/SEPTA/CSC_0070.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/SEPTA/DSC_0147.jpg)



(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/STM/CSC_0264.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/STM/DSC_0015.jpg)

Title: Re: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: btconet on January 01, 2010, 03:40:32 PM
Great topic - I've tried to explore a few new things photographically.  Some things I had success with, others not so much.  In any event, I am thankful to have had the chance to continue and grow in the hobby in the past year, and blessed to been to a nice number of places to put the cameras to work.

Well, like Oren, I can certainly measure the time I spent in DC this year in DAYS - SIX to be exact, twice transitfanning, twice passing through between trains, and twice on dates, so this is probably seaming into a "Beyond the Beltway" topic, but here goes:

(http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5WSrGfGmI/AAAAAAAACNY/RPMxB6DhPjs/s800/IMG_8023.JPG)
My best DC shot of the year, taken early on a DC/Virginia ramble.

(http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5Vqop7hTI/AAAAAAAACNU/BXUIQp-CURU/s912/DSC00598.JPG)
Didn't get a lot of time to transit fan in New Orleans, but did enjoy the excursions I could.

(http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5WZjsgjmI/AAAAAAAACNc/yV-NUcraxDw/s800/IMG_8074.JPG)
San Francisco has yet to disappoint - the end of the California Cable line.

(http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5YteqzgPI/AAAAAAAACOg/HuW_soK9xjE/s576/IMG_8075.JPG)
The obscured irony in this photo is someone trying to perform a fix on the "smiley" car in foreground, in contrast to the Golden Gate bus' destination sign.

(http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5SWYD3GfI/AAAAAAAACM0/WzS8sf3WZ58/s912/DSC01346.JPG)
Most of my Portland stuff was video, so this still is hardly "great," but sentimentally, it does remind me of Beaverton, a place where Flx's still ran heavily!

(http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5U32VbOAI/AAAAAAAACNI/0vD2H3k5rHI/s912/IMG_8474.JPG)
Picked up a second hand DSLR and had a chance to get a few lower light shots nearly impossible on compacts.

(http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5WrLUBMTI/AAAAAAAACNk/53xzZZ9C3gE/s912/DSC01618.JPG)
The Sony T500's strength is video more than stills, but spring shots in good light came out passable.

(http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5Wuik_XiI/AAAAAAAACNo/7uDMv5FAI0s/s912/06180003.JPG)
Perhaps my favorite pickup was a used 2001 vintage Casio QV-4000 for $40, just 4 MP but a decent and fast lens that can do pics like this one!

(http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5W0bbLVEI/AAAAAAAACNs/nBApCwS2KiI/s912/06280005.JPG)
For a spell, I grew fond of "foreground positioning" in my shots - here I'm pretty pleased with the results.

(http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5W9n-cqKI/AAAAAAAACNw/ziF2JooGxNc/s576/07020011.JPG)
I always like "landmark" type shots - this one was actually a grab, but with some tweaking came out quite nicely.

(http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5XWLFw9WI/AAAAAAAACN4/YDNZP8uKzrE/s576/06190018.JPG)
Very unconventional shot in which the bus is only a fraction of the image, but once I remember with fondness.

(http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5UF3UnQ9I/AAAAAAAACM8/ceZz6P_nhWI/s576/_MG_0167.JPG)
October rains made it very hard to get stunning Fall shots, but there were a few chances here and there.

(http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5Zy3PhjGI/AAAAAAAACOw/dehKmf5D7oY/s912/01010029.JPG)
New Years Eve - nasty winter weather in the morning - a "pan" shot taken with the Casio.

(http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5VBBcoAmI/AAAAAAAACNM/yc3uTsOhbIA/s912/_MG_0234.JPG)
A fun shot using "selective color" on Google's Picasa Download.

(http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5VEjaNbrI/AAAAAAAACNQ/yHMXRlkThvE/s912/_MG_0261.JPG)
Another version - "diamond" lines are getting a bit rare in NYC these days.

(http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5S5KvrLlI/AAAAAAAACM4/He1g6n9BQnc/s912/_MG_0125.JPG)
One of many attempted "pan" shots taken in Times Square - this one was the best of the batch.

(http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5Xb09tThI/AAAAAAAACN8/inZw3lHqyHU/s912/_MG_0093.JPG)
Grabbed while awaiting a bus in San Diego.  The glossy red cars are pretty unique in North America.

(http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5XourPJ0I/AAAAAAAACOE/7DM5_f3US2E/s912/_MG_0124.JPG)
Set up shot taken in twilight in a San Diego neighborhood.  Not the easiest to snag!

(http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5XkXDxXJI/AAAAAAAACOA/24Z0YRrI6lU/s576/_MG_0297.JPG)
LA Metrobus passing the still closed Angels Flight.

(http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5XL1roPJI/AAAAAAAACN0/QCOpW4rF2eQ/s912/09260001.JPG)
Another pan shot with the Casio, this time taken in Chicago.


And to finish, my favorite meal while in transit this past year - Crab Cakes on Amtrak's Capitol Limited.

(http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ARs0Y2hPhRU/Sz5ZTf6OT0I/AAAAAAAACOs/oBD8X4D5dyw/s912/DSC00135.JPG)

Title: Re: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: Scrabbleship on January 05, 2010, 01:00:50 PM
I don't know what's better: The girl at the far left in #5 or the crabcake in the last picture. My Cap Limited run sadly didn't have crabcakes...

Great pics though!
Title: Re: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: Tristan on January 05, 2010, 03:44:58 PM
You mean Carrot Top to the far, far left edge, or the working girl in the white skirt?  :o :o
Title: Re: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: Scrabbleship on January 05, 2010, 04:11:10 PM
Carrot Top. A redhead with curls is about as high on the kickass factor as the Flx on the other half of the picture!
Title: Re: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: btconet on January 05, 2010, 06:09:05 PM
Thanks, though everyone who knows me knows I'd much prefer a "redbone" to a "redhead," I'll try to better immerse the "scenery" into the shots this year upcoming!
Title: Re: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: Tritransit Area on January 05, 2010, 07:37:40 PM
Hmm...I had very few DC pics this year.  Here's my top one!

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/DC%20Area%20Transit/Ride%20On/Gillig%20Low%20Floors/RideOn5749-QuebecTerrace-11-27-09.jpg)

And more:
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/DC%20Area%20Transit/Ride%20On/Gillig%20Low%20Floors/RideOn5315back-QuebecTerrace-11-27-.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/DC%20Area%20Transit/Ride%20On/Gillig%20Low%20Floors/RideOn5315-PineyBranch-Carroll-11-2.jpg)

And now, just a small representation of some systems I enjoyed this year:

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Massachusetts%20Transit/Boston%20MBTA/3262-approachingAshmontStation-2-14.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Massachusetts%20Transit/Boston%20MBTA/4117-MtAuburnStreet-2-14-09_filtere.jpg)

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/New%20Jersey%20Transit/Flxibles/Metro%20Bs/NJT3073-MarketSt-8-20-09.jpg) 
Bouncy!

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/New%20Jersey%20Transit/Rail/RiverLINE/RL3518-BroadStreet-Burlington-7-7-0.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/New%20Jersey%20Transit/Rail/RiverLINE/RL3513-36thStreetStation-4-27-09.jpg)

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/New%20York%20Area%20Transit/MTA/Historic%20Fleet/MTA9098a-CircleLinePier-12-17-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/New%20York%20Area%20Transit/MTA/Historic%20Fleet/MTA3100-42ndSt-1stAve-12-17-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/New%20York%20Area%20Transit/MTA/Historic%20Fleet/MTA2969-42ndSt-2ndAve-12-17-09.jpg)

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Phoenix%20Area%20Valley%20Metro/NABIs/6249-TempeTransitCenter-8-11-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Phoenix%20Area%20Valley%20Metro/NABIs/6137-24thandBaselineSt-8-9-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Phoenix%20Area%20Valley%20Metro/New%20Flyers/6652-MainSt-DowntownMesa-8-13-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Phoenix%20Area%20Valley%20Metro/Light%20Rail/LRTandMillStareaofTempe-8-11-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Phoenix%20Area%20Valley%20Metro/El%20Dorados/4145-5thandMill-8-11-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Phoenix%20Area%20Valley%20Metro/Light%20Rail/2LRtrainsandTempe-8-11-09-1.jpg)

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Bus/American%20Ikarus%20NABI/5370-58thStreet-2-8-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/PCC%20II/2327-RichmondandSummerset-8-5-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/PCC%20II/2327-RichmondAve-8-5-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/PCC%20II/2335-RichmondSt-8-5-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/PCC%20II/2323a-Richmond-Somerset-8-5-09.jpg)

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/Norristown%20High%20Speed%20Line/152-passingMatsonfordStation-11-15-.jpg)

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/Regional%20Rail/Push%20Pull/R52301-arrivingatTempleStation-8-17.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/Regional%20Rail/Push%20Pull/R32307a-approachingNeshaminyFalls-1.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/Regional%20Rail/Silverliner%20IV/R3407a-approachingNeshaminyFalls-12.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/Regional%20Rail/Silverliner%20IV/R3407-approachingNeshaminyFalls-12-.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/Regional%20Rail/Push%20Pull/R32405-leavingNeshaminyFallsStation.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/Regional%20Rail/Silverliner%20III/R5220-PaoliStation-4-29-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Rail/Regional%20Rail/Silverliner%20II/R3254-crossingWoodbourneRd-11-18-09.jpg)

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Bus/New%20Flyers/Hybrids/8159-Marketand15thStreets-7-15-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Bus/El%20Dorado/4541-PhiladelphiaParkCasino-3-9-09.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/SEPTA%20Area%20Transportation%20Services/Bus/Neoplan/AN460/7120-rt413-11-18-09.jpg)
Pump up the Ham

(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Amtrak/Keystone9640-pullingintoPaoliStatio.jpg)
(http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Bastranz/Amtrak/Amtrak655-RidleyPark-4-28-09.jpg)
Title: Re: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: btconet on January 05, 2010, 10:10:55 PM
B.,

LOVE the Phoenix shots.  Something about that place just draws me! Nice composition on a lot of your stuff! :)
Title: Re: PHOTOS: Best of 2009
Post by: Tritransit Area on January 06, 2010, 11:29:06 AM
Thanks Adam!   I loved your shots as well, especially the New York 7 train shot that only showed the 7 in color.  I hope to learn how to do that one day!

The Phoenix area is one of my favorite places to transit fan.  I just love the mountain backdrop, the diversity in the fleet as well as the city, and the transit book with schedules for all of the routes (including the smaller circulators).  It's just too bad the weekend service isn't all that great.