I was just thinking about this. I don't think Royal division is really needed. It only operates like 5 lines and FMR isn't that far away. In fact, FMR and Royal should just combine to form one division if FMR has enough room for extra buses. The routes it operates can easily be split between FMR and West Ox. Honestly, I think West Ox and FMR are the only two divisions needed in Virginia.
Although it seems like Royal operates few routes, it can still be a pretty useful division. Look at the 28 line, just think of it as Virginia's 30 line (like DCs 30s), few routes, but long and requires plenty of buses. FMR already got a lot of former Arlington's routes once West Ox opened, I don't know if they can handle more routes especially during Rush Hour where they operate even more routes. Also, Royal does help with some rush hour routes, if you take a look at the Pentagon during rush hour, it's pretty damn busy.
Quote from: OrionFlyer on December 27, 2009, 11:14:21 AM
I was just thinking about this. I don't think Royal division is really needed. It only operates like 5 lines and FMR isn't that far away. In fact, FMR and Royal should just combine to form one division if FMR has enough room for extra buses. The routes it operates can easily be split between FMR and West Ox. Honestly, I think West Ox and FMR are the only two divisions needed in Virginia.
Royal is needed because they operate the heavy 28 line, the 10, and a few rush hour lines. It operates just as West Ox being weekday only. FMR already operates alot of runs and cannot take on much more (possibly because of staffing and rostering). The new Newington garage is a couple years out so you can't really say this division isn't needed.
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on December 27, 2009, 12:13:19 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on December 27, 2009, 11:14:21 AM
I was just thinking about this. I don't think Royal division is really needed. It only operates like 5 lines and FMR isn't that far away. In fact, FMR and Royal should just combine to form one division if FMR has enough room for extra buses. The routes it operates can easily be split between FMR and West Ox. Honestly, I think West Ox and FMR are the only two divisions needed in Virginia.
Royal is needed because they operate the heavy 28 line, the 10, and a few rush hour lines. It operates just as West Ox being weekday only. FMR already operates alot of runs and cannot take on much more (possibly because of staffing and rostering). The new Newington garage is a couple years out so you can't really say this division isn't needed.
Didn't realize how heavy the 28 is. There's a Newington Garage coming?
I never heard of this Newington Garage...but yeah, the 28 is Royal's busiest route by far, followed by the 10 line. After the 28 had its changes recently (no more 28B and 28A has only 4 stops between King St and INOVA), I don't think it will be as busy as before, but it will still be a great help with Royal around.
Quote from: OrionFlyer on December 27, 2009, 01:16:22 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on December 27, 2009, 12:13:19 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on December 27, 2009, 11:14:21 AM
I was just thinking about this. I don't think Royal division is really needed. It only operates like 5 lines and FMR isn't that far away. In fact, FMR and Royal should just combine to form one division if FMR has enough room for extra buses. The routes it operates can easily be split between FMR and West Ox. Honestly, I think West Ox and FMR are the only two divisions needed in Virginia.
Royal is needed because they operate the heavy 28 line, the 10, and a few rush hour lines. It operates just as West Ox being weekday only. FMR already operates alot of runs and cannot take on much more (possibly because of staffing and rostering). The new Newington garage is a couple years out so you can't really say this division isn't needed.
Didn't realize how heavy the 28 is. There's a Newington Garage coming?
Cinder Bed Road in Newington near Connector's Huntington garage.
NewFlyer97BCT
I never heard of this Newington Garage...
Docket R09-1: Proposed New Bus Operations and Maintenance Facility at 7901 Cinder Bed Rd in Fairfax County, VA; July 28, 2009 (http://www.wmata.com/community_outreach/cinder_bed_road.cfm)
Appendix B: Site Schematic (http://www.wmata.com/community_outreach/cinder_bed_road/AppendixB-SiteSchematic.pdf) (1.8 MB PDF file)
Planning, Development and Real Estate Committee
Board Action Item VI-E
September 10, 2009
Approval of the Public Hearing Staff Report for Cinder Bed Road Bus Garage (http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_of_directors/board_docs/091009_CinderBedRdmaterials.pdf) (7.05 MB PDF file)