News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Routes before Metrorail

Started by Scrabbleship, August 05, 2008, 12:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrabbleship

This could be an annendum to the Routes of Years Past thread, but in the same vein would be routes that were quite a bit different before the Metro came into play.

I know the K6 once went downtown and the Maryland L's went to Van Ness way back in the day, but what other routes saw changes thanks to the Metro? Might this play into the Routes of Years Past thread too?

Perry

Well just about all of the routes that terminate at Pentagon went either to Federal Triangle, Union Station or other various parts of DC.

Federal Triangle used to have a ton of routes down there.  Lots of routes that terminated at outlying DC metro stations were extended downtown in the later evening hours when the Metro shut down earlier.

The Reston to DC routes were nice and I think those could work again rather than forcing everyone onto Metro at WFC.

rideonrulez

Quote from: Perry on August 05, 2008, 12:23:50 AM
The Reston to DC routes were nice and I think those could work again rather than forcing everyone onto Metro at WFC.

They have the 5A that they have been overcrowding!! LOL

I got alot of old bus maps from WMATA's inception that I'll scan and put on the website one of these days.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

DCT S9Z4Z6

Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 05, 2008, 12:11:46 AM
This could be an annendum to the Routes of Years Past thread, but in the same vein would be routes that were quite a bit different before the Metro came into play.

I know the K6 once went downtown and the Maryland L's went to Van Ness way back in the day, but what other routes saw changes thanks to the Metro? Might this play into the Routes of Years Past thread too?

All 80's lines, operating to Rhode Island Ave currently, used to go downtown.
This was the 1st line METRO cut at their subway station as not to provide "duplicate service"
Can't go wrong, with a classic ANYTHING!

orionvii2680

I think my mom said the 9a used to got to dc....
Route Rex destination Woodlawn.

Sand Box John

Scrabbleship

All of the L route use to go from Federal Triangle (13th and Pennsylvania Avenue) to at least as far as Chevy Chase Circle, a couple of them went to Aspen Hill. The Aspen Hill L routes were boarding outbound and discharge inbound only in the District of Columbia during peak.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

DCT S9Z4Z6

Quote from: Sand Box John on October 01, 2009, 09:12:24 AM
Scrabbleship

All of the L route use to go from Federal Triangle (13th and Pennsylvania Avenue) to at least as far as Chevy Chase Circle, a couple of them went to Aspen Hill. The Aspen Hill L routes were boarding outbound and discharge inbound only in the District of Columbia during peak.

The L routes only ran to Aspen Hill in Rush Hours, before METRORAIL
The L-6 was base day service to Wheaton.
The L-7 was rush hour only to Aspen Hill with the terminal on CT ave, betweem Aspen Hill rd & Georgia Ave (try having a bus or 2 sitting there NOW, with all the traffic)

Scrabbleship

Quote from: DCT S9Z4Z6 on October 01, 2009, 11:52:03 AM
Scrabbleship

The L-7 was rush hour only to Aspen Hill with the terminal on CT ave, betweem Aspen Hill rd & Georgia Ave (try having a bus or 2 sitting there NOW, with all the traffic)

The L6 sounds like a forerunner to the recently deceased L7 (Connecticut Avenue to Wheaton); was the L7 what today is the L8 (Connecticut Avenue[-MD] to Aspen Hill)?

Ironically, DCT S9Z4Z6's detailed histories answered a lot of my original questions since this thread is from over a year ago. Thanks!

DCT S9Z4Z6

Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 01, 2009, 11:54:33 AM
Scrabbleship

The L6 sounds like a forerunner to the recently deceased L7 (Connecticut Avenue to Wheaton); was the L7 what today is the L8 (Connecticut Avenue[-MD] to Aspen Hill)?

Ironically, DCT S9Z4Z6's detailed histories answered a lot of my original questions since this thread is from over a year ago. Thanks!

You are correct.
The former L6 ran from the Highs Store, 1 block NORTH of Georgia & University, to downtown. When Ride-On came of age, and took away all the Silver Spring community routes & expanded into Montgomery County, the took the L6 & made it an L-7 Rush Housr only to/from Wheaton Station & Friendship Heights. They took the FORMER L-7 Aspen Hill, and made THAT the base service L8 route.

For a while, they (WMATA) interlined the L8 & the former N8 (Friendship Heights to/from Glen Echo) together.

( I LOVED doing the L8 & N8's on Saturday, when Ride-On first took over the weekend L8, N8, T2 & Z2 routes as well as splitting up the T6 & making it 42's & 46's)

Scrabbleship

Quote from: DCT S9Z4Z6 on October 01, 2009, 12:05:00 PM
Scrabbleship

You are correct.
The former L6 ran from the Highs Store, 1 block NORTH of Georgia & University, to downtown. When Ride-On came of age, and took away all the Silver Spring community routes & expanded into Monkey County, the took the L6 & made it an L-7 Rush Housr only to/from Wheaton Station & Friendship Heights. They took the FORMER L-7 Aspen Hill, and made THAT the base service L8 route.

For a while, they (WMATA) interlined the L8 & the former N8 (Friendship Heights to/from Glen Echo) together.

( I LOVED doing the L8 & N8's on Saturday, when Ride-On first took over the weekend L8, N8, T2 & Z2 routes as well as splitting up the T6 & making it 42's & 46's)

From the sounds of it, the L6 is more the forerunner of Ride On route 34. Anyone who knows Ride On history, did the 34 even go down to Friendship Heights prior to when it was merged with the 42 (thanks Oren!) last year?

DCT S9Z4Z6

Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 01, 2009, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: DCT S9Z4Z6 on October 01, 2009, 12:05:00 PM
Scrabbleship

You are correct.
The former L6 ran from the Highs Store, 1 block NORTH of Georgia & University, to downtown. When Ride-On came of age, and took away all the Silver Spring community routes & expanded into Montgomery County, the took the L6 & made it an L-7 Rush Housr only to/from Wheaton Station & Friendship Heights. They took the FORMER L-7 Aspen Hill, and made THAT the base service L8 route.

From the sounds of it, the L6 is more the forerunner of Ride On route 34. Anyone who knows Ride On history, did the 34 even go down to Friendship Heights prior to when it was merged with the 42 (thanks Oren!) last year?

NO IT DID NOT

The 34 was ONCE a Rush-Hour directional service to BETHESDA from Wheaton
AM Rush to Bethesda
PM Rush to Wheaton

When the schedule gawds also ran the 35 (Wheaton to Montgomery Mall) they ran it w/ the 34 in mind, to operate 15 min (at the time) frequenecy between Wheaton Station, Kensington, and the medical center station.

Montgomery Division

i bought a lot of old metrobus schedules on ebay i'd be happy to share them