It was the Purple line going to Dulles, not the Silver?

Started by Chargerdodge9, March 24, 2013, 12:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerdodge9

Seriously, what is with that? They were talking about this back in 2007. Why did they change it?

WMATAGMOAGH

The Purple line has been the color for the Bethesda-Silver Spring-New Carrollton line for as long as I can remember.  I'm not sure when they started associating silver with Dulles but that isn't recent, either.

Chargerdodge9

Chargerdodge9

Are they still working on the Purple line in Maryland? Will it be Baltimore MTA or WMATA that controls it?

Sand Box John

The name Purple Line was coined by former Montgomery County Executive Douglas Duncan in reference to the then proposed idea of a circumference rail transit line running generally parallel to the Capitol Beltway.

The name Silver line was coined by a member of the WMATA Board of Directors in the early 2000s, said board members name slips my mine at this time.

It should be noted the colors given to the lines by those two politicians had not been officially defined at the time they were coined. The Silver line was originally envisioned to be a branch of the Orange line.

The only reference I know of where the Dulles route was labeled as the Purple Line was in a fantasy I created 13 years ago.

John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.