News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Scrap Yard by Fort Totten

Started by Tritransit Area, December 06, 2009, 07:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tritransit Area

Where the new Condos now stand, there once was an old scrapyard that contained a few Metrobuses.  I recall seeing a Flx New Look there, and I think I saw an AMG there as well.  What ever happened to this yard - was it moved elsewhere?

Also, when were the AMGs retired?  Did they ever run out of Montgomery?  I don't recall seeing them when I was a child :(.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

rideonrulez

The AM General's ran in Montgomery County. I remember riding them rattling down Georgia Ave on the Y.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

Sand Box John

Tritransit Area
Where the new Condos now stand, there once was an old scrapyard that contained a few Metrobuses.  I recall seeing a Flx New Look there, and I think I saw an AMG there as well.  What ever happened to this yard - was it moved elsewhere?

That storage yard use to be under the administration of the WMATA Office of Surplus Property. At the time of its use the office was in the Metro Supply Facility on Ardwick Ardmore Road, Today the Office of Surplus Property and the Open Material Storage Facility is physically located on Pennsy Drive around the corner from Carmen E. Turner Facility. Last time I was by there, there was a number of Flexible Metros in various staged of disrepair in the yard behind the warehouse, mind you that was a couple of years ago.

Also, when were the AMGs retired?  Did they ever run out of Montgomery?  I don't recall seeing them when I was a child.

As I recall the AMGs were retired in the early 1980s. I think the AMGs were long gone before WMATA opened the Montgomery Division.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

DCT S9Z4Z6

THE AM Generals 7000 - 7619
Were WMATA's 1st bus purchase as WMATA

Yes, the AM Generals ran in Montgomery County, but first from NORTHERN Division. (And some Western Routes: L8's &  C2's were once Western Routes ).

When Silver Spring Transit Center opened in 1978, Montgomery Division wasn't in operation yet.

But when Montgomery did open, they were stocked with some 7000 series, as well as my personal favorites. .  the 8000 series FLXIBLES  ::)
(equipped w/ the fold out steps for wheelchair access)
Can't go wrong, with a classic ANYTHING!

Flxible

Were the 7500-series AMGs (35 footers) ever garaged/run in VA?
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Sand Box John

Flxible

I believe the answer to that question is yes. I vaguely recall seeing AM Generals at the Pentagon bus terminal in the years after that metrorail station opened and maybe riding them on the Columbia Pike line.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 06, 2009, 07:29:09 PM
Also, when were the AMGs retired?  Did they ever run out of Montgomery?  I don't recall seeing them when I was a child :(.

I seem to remember reading something that when CC&T got their WMATA AM General that they found a copy of the Post dated from 1987. Given the 12-year limit and the fact they were junk, plus the mass order of Flxibles from that time, that may answer your question.

rideonrulez

Quote from: Flxible on December 08, 2010, 12:27:57 AM

According to the information I have, the WMATA 1974 AMG model 9635-6 were numbered 7500-7619. Not sure if they were operated in Virginia but will find out for you.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

Flxible

Thanks!  Any info would be welcome.
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Flxible

Quote from: Scrabbleship on December 08, 2010, 04:47:31 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 06, 2009, 07:29:09 PM

I seem to remember reading something that when CC&T got their WMATA AM General that they found a copy of the Post dated from 1987. Given the 12-year limit and the fact they were junk, plus the mass order of Flxibles from that time, that may answer your question.

I don't recall anything about a copy of the Post being found in that bus when we got it in our possession.  I seem to recall it having a 1987 Virginia inspection sticker in its windshield though.  I will check that when I get back to the museum soon.

MarkD

Quote from: Sand Box John on December 08, 2010, 10:17:11 AM
Flxible

I believe the answer to that question is yes. I vaguely recall seeing AM Generals at the Pentagon bus terminal in the years after that metrorail station opened and maybe riding them on the Columbia Pike line.

A lot of the 7500 series [about 40 buses] were based in VA.  When I lived in DC in the early 80's, they were used mostly on the old 12-14-15 lines, the original 26 [Arlington/Alexandria loop], the short route 16 lines [to Shirlington and Skyline City] and some of the old Arlington Garage lines.

RailBus63

AM Generals were still operating on WMATA when I visited in 1986.

Perry

That's just about when they were getting phased out.  The 8700 series Flxible Metros replaced them.

Tritransit Area

Ah, that's why I don't remember seeing them.  By the time I came into existence, they were on their way out the door!  :D
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

WES

There was an old Motor Coach Age magazine that had the exact AM General bus distribution per garage for WMATA.  I would have to look for it and post it.  As for the scrap lot, I remember that, before the West Hyattsville Station was built, Wmata had a small storage lot on that site.  It held mainly 8V Flxible new looks with a few GM new looks.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun