News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

New Delhi Metro (India)

Started by WMAveteran, May 12, 2010, 12:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WMAveteran

THE WASHINGTON POST ran an article on the New Delhi Metro on May 11, 2010.  It opened in 2002 and "By September, it will carry 2 million people daily along 118 miles of track . . ."  "When the Metro rolls into poorer neighborhoods, teens in jeans and tunics enact street plays to give lessons on keeping the train clean, on using the escalators - and not throwing stones at the trains. 'The Metro will bring you honor, this is your city's pride'."  The chairman of a real estate consultancy is quoted as calling the Metro "a game-changer."  "The Metro frequently appears in ads and movies, on billboards to highlight progress, and even in politcal-party manifestos.  Visiting dignitaries use a quick Metro commute for a photo-op."  Land prices around Metro stations have risen so "Only the affluent can afford to live in places around the Metro lines now."

WMATAGMOAGH

Do you have a link to the article?  I'd be interested in reading it myself.  Thanks for sharing!

Sand Box John

WMATAGMOAGH
Do you have a link to the article?  I'd be interested in reading it myself.  Thanks for sharing!

New Delhi residents cheer arrival of new Metro system
By Rama Lakshmi
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.