[GRAPEVINE] PRTC To Order low floor gilligs in the replacement of Orion Vs

Started by DCAreaTransitFan, December 30, 2010, 08:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCAreaTransitFan

Also they ordering 4 new mci coach buses

EDIT by Tristan: Since the original poster has not presented any proof yet other than "I heard", a GRAPEVINE tag has been added so that people browsing the site don't take this as hardcore fact.
New Flyer C40LFR

Perry

Those Orions are only about 10 years old I think.  Some of them were really nice to drive, particularly 175.  I opened her up on PW Pkwy a few times when I'd do routing observations in Manassas.  171 is pretty good too.

79MetroExtraMD

I had a bad experience on one of them a couple years back. Wheel fell off while we were traveling up 95 heading to Springfield and we were in the far left lane at the time. Amazing how the driver was able to pull over to the right shoulder safely.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Perry

I think that actually happened when I still worked there.  Was it in 2007?  Unless I read about it on here, but that's vaguely familiar.  They actually used to run really well...don't know how they are now.  I used to try to assign the Gillgs to the Franconia Springfield route as much as possible and keep the Orions on the Manassas Metro Direct and Cross County.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Perry on January 02, 2011, 06:56:53 PM
I think that actually happened when I still worked there.  Was it in 2007?  Unless I read about it on here, but that's vaguely familiar.  They actually used to run really well...don't know how they are now.  I used to try to assign the Gillgs to the Franconia Springfield route as much as possible and keep the Orions on the Manassas Metro Direct and Cross County.
I think it was back in 07. Something didn't sound right when we were leaving Woodbridge.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Tristan

What's your source for this report (the bus order)?  If there's no source, this is Grapevine material right now.

DCAreaTransitFan

well im freinds with the general manger of PRTC me and him get along and he told me i dont think they wont be any source beacuse they dont like them telling the public those stuff
New Flyer C40LFR

DCAreaTransitFan

Quote from: Perry on January 01, 2011, 09:54:22 PM
Those Orions are only about 10 years old I think.  Some of them were really nice to drive, particularly 175.  I opened her up on PW Pkwy a few times when I'd do routing observations in Manassas.  171 is pretty good too.
last year 2010 they had many problems even a bus operator told me i whitnessed a orion breaking down
New Flyer C40LFR

Tristan

By source, we mean some type of documentation we can all refer to that verifies what you claim.  We take a very strong stance against "hearsay" being posted as fact, which is why we have a "Grapevine" section.  We're not saying this is untrue, and certainly not saying you're making stuff up, we just have too much experience hearing incorrect information.

aznboy4305

Quote from: DCAreaTransitFan on January 04, 2011, 08:15:23 PM
well im freinds with the general manger of PRTC me and him get along and he told me i dont think they wont be any source beacuse they dont like them telling the public those stuff

Just that statement alone could place the GM and the agency in a negative spotlight, if it is true. Public entities are generally transparent regarding capital purchases, issues such as bus purchases with public funds shouldn't be "hidden" from the public.

Tristan

Yeah, knowing that, it's probably not a good idea to put him on blast like that.  It's your relationship with the guy so I'll leave it to you to decide how to proceed, but I personally wouldn't have said that on a message board.  TA employees do visit and post here.

Perry

I had read in one of the board minutes that they were purchasing a couple of them using ARRA funds I believe, but I too think 13 doesn't sound right.   There are 13 Orions, so at some point they would probably get those, but if they haven't reached the minimum 500,000/12 year mark, it's certainly not going to be now.

DCAreaTransitFan

well thats what i heard thier supposed to be coming nxt year 2012 and were recieving 4 new coaches this year
New Flyer C40LFR

DCAreaTransitFan

As i was speaking to prtc gm and mechanics they are getting the Gillig BRT style!
New Flyer C40LFR