Washington to Detroit: Amtrak vs. Northwest Airlines

Started by WMAveteran, September 03, 2008, 12:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WMAveteran

I am going to Detroit later this month for a civil rights conference.  I would rather travel by train when possible so I queried Amtrak and Northwest for travel information.

Northwest will fly me from BWI to Detroit in 1 hour 36 minutes for $168.50 roundtrip.

Amtrak offered two alternative routes: Route 1 involved taking the Capital Limited to Toledo OH where I would alight at 4:56am!?! (after a 12 hour train ride) and wait until 6:30am for a bus that would take me to Detroit in approximately 90 minutes.  Route 2 involved taking the Capital Limited to Chicago (15 hours), wait about 4 hours and catch the Wolverine to Detroit which is a 5 hour trip.

Since Amtrak would take anywhere from 17 hours to 24 hours to go a little over 400 miles, I purchased a plane ticket. 

rideonrulez

Quote from: WMAveteran on September 03, 2008, 12:20:14 AM
I am going to Detroit later this month for a civil rights conference.  I would rather travel by train when possible so I queried Amtrak and Northwest for travel information.

Northwest will fly me from BWI to Detroit in 1 hour 36 minutes for $168.50 roundtrip.

Amtrak offered two alternative routes: Route 1 involved taking the Capital Limited to Toledo OH where I would alight at 4:56am!?! (after a 12 hour train ride) and wait until 6:30am for a bus that would take me to Detroit in approximately 90 minutes.  Route 2 involved taking the Capital Limited to Chicago (15 hours), wait about 4 hours and catch the Wolverine to Detroit which is a 5 hour trip.

Since Amtrak would take anywhere from 17 hours to 24 hours to go a little over 400 miles, I purchased a plane ticket. 

Amtrak is usually my first choice to travel BUT it's not always the most fastest or direct way to get to certain destinations. In this case, I don't blame you for purchasing a plane ticket.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

btconet

Interestingly, I remember my stop through New Orleans on the way back from a conference in Arizona, where I met a friend with whom I'd return to Baltimore.

Airfare was more than $225 per ticket for the flight into Baltimore with the flights all being rather awkward connection flights.

The Crescent came in at $125 per ticket, while both of us scored a Roomette for $162.

$450+ to cram into a plane vs. $412 to relax, ride in style, and get fed 4 included meals.  Definite no brainer there.

$158 for Detroit RT is pretty decent.  I can do short, direct flights - the longer ones are endurance contests to me though.

coneyraven

Either way, at least wth the Capitol Limited, I'd at least be able to stop and say "hi" at the stop in Cumberland....It's always nice to meet a fellow railfan --- and if the time ever presented itself, I'd be able to show you where several old LIRR cars are being stored....vintage 1970's ---they have Bicentennial logos on them and a couple have ads for Eastern Airlines...but presently owned by the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad
Red Line train to Rhode Island Avenue -- Doors Closing
Blue Line train to Stadium-Armory -- Doors Closing
Orange Line train to Ballston -- Doors Closing

Next station -- Nicholson Lane -- Doors open on the left

RailBus63

Smart move buying the plane ticket.  Amtrak makes sense if direct service is offered and the transit time is reasonable.  I'm a lifelong railfan and I like riding trains and buses, but air travel almost always works best when I'm traveling on business.

WMAveteran

Quote from: coneyraven on September 03, 2008, 06:29:57 PM
Either way, at least wth the Capitol Limited, I'd at least be able to stop and say "hi" at the stop in Cumberland....It's always nice to meet a fellow railfan --- and if the time ever presented itself, I'd be able to show you where several old LIRR cars are being stored....vintage 1970's ---they have Bicentennial logos on them and a couple have ads for Eastern Airlines...but presently owned by the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad

Thank you, I would love to know where the LIRR cars are stored. I will wear my Eastern Airlines t-shirt when I see them!!