News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Does D.C. own all the Metrobuses?

Started by Chargerdodge9, October 20, 2014, 09:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerdodge9

I ask this because I noticed that all the WMATA buses sport D.C. plates, even the Orion VII OG CNGs, most of which are probably going to be permanent VA residents. How com some buses don't have VA or Maryland plates?

rideonrulez

WMATA owns the buses. WMATA is headquartered in DC. I think you can figure it out from here....
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

Chargerdodge9

Yes, but as I recall, doesn't WMATA comprise of 4 to 5 counties and several cities? With that logic, shouldn't the state that fund for some buses get those while the other gets the rest or something like that? I mean, WMATA is kind of a unique TA.

Sand Box John

Chargerdodge9
Yes, but as I recall, doesn't WMATA comprise of 4 to 5 counties and several cities? With that logic, shouldn't the state that fund for some buses get those while the other gets the rest or something like that? I mean, WMATA is kind of a unique TA.

WMATA is for all practice purposes is a cooperative. The member jurisdiction make a funding contribution for the services they want. WMATA provides those services from the pool of assets they have. Like Metrorail those assets are moved around on an as needed basses.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

BigPimpinSlimDB

The DC government actually owned/purchased the Orion IIs. They only operated out of Bladensburg(D4, D8(Sundays), H6,  K1, K2, U2, U4, X6) and Western(98, D2, E6, H5, H7, M4).

Chargerdodge9

I heard they also owned the Gillig Phantoms when they were in service until 2001. After that, I heard a rumor that PRTC Omnilink bought some. Is that true?

WES

Yes DC did buy the Phantoms and yes two went into service for PRTC before the first batch of Advantages came in.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

Chargerdodge9