News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

September 2014 Photos

Started by NewFlyer9736BCT, September 08, 2014, 09:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewFlyer9736BCT

Let me start with some photos taken in August since we didn't make a thread for that month.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

NewFlyer9736BCT

Now for September. Looks like 6472 is a Montgomery loaner

Also, last 2 pics are from August. 6559 is still in the local scheme here, eventually it will be painted for REX along with 6550-6561

Chargerdodge9

I don't think that's paint on the DE42LFAs. I believe they went back to wrap just like what they did with the Orion VIs. Still, I don't get why Parkway is doing the REX now. What they should of done is leave the REX to FMR and give the 8W,X,S,Z and 9A, and E to Parkway. Also, Make West Ox a weekend depot too. I don't get why they won't open on weekends?

Chargerdodge9

Also, is Parkway currently using any other 8000 series buses besides #8002-8011? I think up to #8050 should be here while #8001 is likely back at the NABI plant in Alabama for spec changes and what not. Also, I wished they changed the doors on these buses, they look awful.

rideonrulez

George, great pics as always!

Chargerdodge9-Everybody has an opinion on what they should've done but you don't know what kind of restrictions or reasons why the routes were moved the way they did. Leave it to the experts.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

WES

On the why doesn't all the garages not open on weekends, why waste money on operational costs to have all the garages open on the weekend when FMR has enough to run all weekend service in VA and believe me FMR has more than enough to run weekend service and then some.  VA doesn't have so much service that it warrants more than one garage to stay open.  If more service comes to VA on the weekends that another garage needs to be open then they'll have another garage open on the weekends.  If you get into the understanding of why things happen then you'll understand how things happen.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

Chargerdodge9

@WES, so in other words, the demand is not there?

WES

To a point no, if there was much patronage on weekends then the service might be there, if the funding was there to make it happen. Mostly all of VA service runs on an hourly basis only REX and a handfull of other routes run more frequent than an hour on weekends and a lot of VA service only runs during rush hour.  I think if I'm correct Annex is back to running weekday service only because there's no real need to keep Annex open on the weekends.  It happened when Montgomery first opened, they were closed on weekends, service was run by Northern/Western/Bladensburg.  WMATA has to keep costs low, as much as they can, since there is no real tax revenue to fund it.

Chargerdodge9

But if WMATA is so under funded, why do they keep buying expensive buses? I mean first they bought the original 2008 NABI BRT-60 CNGs, then it was the DE42LFA family, then the Xcelsiors and BRT Orion VII 3Gs, and now back to the NABI BRTs?

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: Chargerdodge9 on September 12, 2014, 07:05:05 AM
But if WMATA is so under funded, why do they keep buying expensive buses? I mean first they bought the original 2008 NABI BRT-60 CNGs, then it was the DE42LFA family, then the Xcelsiors and BRT Orion VII 3Gs, and now back to the NABI BRTs?

Because in the long run it would be more expensive to maintain older buses than to buy new ones? That's my guess

Chargerdodge9

Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 12, 2014, 04:34:56 PM
Quote from: Chargerdodge9 on September 12, 2014, 07:05:05 AM

Because in the long run it would be more expensive to maintain older buses than to buy new ones? That's my guess
But back then, WMATA could of just brought more DE40LFRs and/or Orion VII OG hybrids and Orion VII NG hybrids like the MTA. In fact, I remember you guys having a major discussion about this years ago when the DE42LFA buses first started to invade Washington.

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: Chargerdodge9 on September 12, 2014, 05:06:03 PM
But back then, WMATA could of just brought more DE40LFRs and/or Orion VII OG hybrids and Orion VII NG hybrids like the MTA. In fact, I remember you guys having a major discussion about this years ago when the DE42LFA buses first started to invade Washington.

Not exactly sure what you're asking here, but iirc this is a picture thread, and that said...

P.S. Chris the first 2 are for you :P I thought I posted them already but I guess I didn't

Chargerdodge9

Nice shots and I saw #8007 just yesterday  ;D.

WES

Some pics from last week.

WES

A few more