September 2013 observations.

Started by Chargerdodge9, September 02, 2013, 08:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerdodge9

Can't believe I almost forgot to add this...

NewFlyer9736BCT

Yesterday I saw 4280 and 4288 on Bladensburg Rd and South Dakota Ave with B blocks deadheading to Bladensburg
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

Chargerdodge9

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: Chargerdodge9 on September 06, 2013, 07:54:43 AM
Were those buses from Northern?

A while ago, yes. But they are more recently from Montgomery.

Chargerdodge9

I think I remember riding #4288 on the 70 line about 5 years ago. It broke down on me because of a wheelchair lift malfunction lol.

BigPimpinSlimDB

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: Chargerdodge9 on September 06, 2013, 05:09:19 PM
I think I remember riding #4288 on the 70 line about 5 years ago. It broke down on me because of a wheelchair lift malfunction lol.

That right there is why Metro is trying to get the high-floor buses replaced once and for all. I remember a few years ago, a 9800s Flxible (I think it was 9826) on the Y line heading northbound had to end service at Wheaton Station because the WC lift got stuck while a passenger was on the lift, and they had to get some mechanic with tools so they could manually operate the lift by opening a small compartment on the front of the bus and twisting something with what looked like a wrench. Meanwhile, a crowded Y line bus stop awaits for the next Y

NewFlyer9736BCT

So either 6162 was offline for a while, got online again, and just happened to go to Bburg for rehab immediately after, or there's a pseudo "6162" running around because today at Bladensburg, 6162 was there.
Also there was 6163, freshly painted and appears to be nearly done with rehab.

Chargerdodge9

Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 07, 2013, 09:42:57 PM
Quote from: Chargerdodge9 on September 06, 2013, 05:09:19 PM

That right there is why Metro is trying to get the high-floor buses replaced once and for all. I remember a few years ago, a 9800s Flxible (I think it was 9826) on the Y line heading northbound had to end service at Wheaton Station because the WC lift got stuck while a passenger was on the lift, and they had to get some mechanic with tools so they could manually operate the lift by opening a small compartment on the front of the bus and twisting something with what looked like a wrench. Meanwhile, a crowded Y line bus stop awaits for the next Y
Yes, but I don't know if there will be any room for 654 buses when there are only about 380 EOL (or near EOL) buses going out within the next 2 years or so.

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: Chargerdodge9 on September 14, 2013, 06:50:27 PMYes, but I don't know if there will be any room for 654 buses when there are only about 380 EOL (or near EOL) buses going out within the next 2 years or so.

Remember that the 654 buses won't come all at once, rather they will be coming into service gradually within a period of several years. Therefore, the buses that are at EOL now won't be the only ones to go, but as time passes and more of the new buses come in, there will be more aging buses reaching EOL. Plus, Cinder Bed division might be completed by then, so that should give room for even more buses (I'm pretty sure Shep Pkwy already has a bit more room for buses, even Annex does a bit)

Chargerdodge9

Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 16, 2013, 09:54:37 AM
Quote from: Chargerdodge9 on September 14, 2013, 06:50:27 PMYes, but I don't know if there will be any room for 654 buses when there are only about 380 EOL (or near EOL) buses going out within the next 2 years or so.

Remember that the 654 buses won't come all at once, rather they will be coming into service gradually within a period of several years. Therefore, the buses that are at EOL now won't be the only ones to go, but as time passes and more of the new buses come in, there will be more aging buses reaching EOL. Plus, Cinder Bed division might be completed by then, so that should give room for even more buses (I'm pretty sure Shep Pkwy already has a bit more room for buses, even Annex does a bit)
You've got a point there, but honestly, I don't see WMATA retiring the DE40LFRs, DE40LFs, D40LFRs, and/or the Orion VII OG CNGs for many years to come. That would put the system at a ridiculously young fleet average. By 2018-2019, the oldest buses will be from 2005-2006.

Chargerdodge9

Took the new Saturday PRTC F/S Metro line service today and rode #190 along it. Also 2012 Gillig Advantage #191 was also working the line. The service was free of charge which was awesome to say the least. Also, Omnilink seemed to have gotten more new 2013 Gillig Advantages for I've seen as high as #285 on property along with I think #279. The highest in service though is #277 thus far. Also went pass Four Mile Run today and I can indeed confirm that all their Orion Vs are gone. Gone with them are the older 2005 Chevy Cutaway TAGs buses as well. Also, ART seemed to have retired at least one Thomas SLF as I spotted it in a lot near Van Dorn street Metro, completely de-decaled of Arlington Transit logos. Here's the rest from today.

PRTC Fuller Heights #272
PRTC F/S Metro #190 (twice)
9A #2702
10B #2530
25A #2607
PRTC Fuller Heights #275

Also, forgot to mention that Orion VII OG CNG #3033 was on the 22A today, which is somewhat of a rare site.

BigPimpinSlimDB

R3 3015 BR65

I still wished this ran to Fort Totten

NewFlyer9736BCT

As the new Ride On Gilligs are coming in (to Silver Spring), Gaithersburg gets more of Silver Spring's Gilligs. Here's 5756 on the 46

Chargerdodge9

How many new Gilligs are coming in and are they replacing the ex-WMATA 1999 Orion Vs diesels?