Retired WMATA '97 Orion Vs

Started by WMATAGMOAGH, January 03, 2012, 05:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WMATAGMOAGH

The 1997 Orion Vs have (had) the distinction of the first buses to be painted with the paint scheme they sported upon delivery (someone else is going to have to offer the correct name for it), and the first buses to have CleverDevices (now installed on every bus in service if the Flxibles are all retired).  Also, their LED signage was readable for about 5 minutes after delivery.  Anything else noteworthy about these buses?  Aside from marking several "first" in terms of the bus fleet, I don't think they were terribly exceptional or unexceptional either way.

WayneNYC

For me:  Since I moved to the DC area in '96, the '97 Orion Vs were the first WMATA new bus purchase I was able to observe.  I think we all remember those horrible Vultron signs that you could not read on a bright sunny day or at night.  I'll fondly remember the SmartMover 4400s and of course the Alcoa wheels.  They were the first without the middle seat on the rear bench too, but I was already used to this on NYCTA's '94 and '95 Orion Vs.  After my first few rides on the '97 Orion Vs, I'd pass them up for a '92 Orion V (or any of the Flxible Metros)  when they still had their original DD 6V-92TA engines.   

MarkD

You have to remember that a good chunk of those Orion V's that WMATA didn't take ended up in NYC [mostly at Green Lines, about 10 or so went to Queens Surface before finding their way to Green Lines.  These buses are now the 5900 series at MTAB] and a number of them wound up at Fairfax Connector as well.

WayneNYC

Quote from: MarkD on January 03, 2012, 08:14:00 PM
You have to remember that a good chunk of those Orion V's that WMATA didn't take ended up in NYC [mostly at Green Lines, about 10 or so went to Queens Surface before finding their way to Green Lines.  These buses are now the 5900 series at MTAB] and a number of them wound up at Fairfax Connector as well.

Yes, I am quite familiar with them at QSC (forgot the series, I think it 200s ) and GBL (5500 series).  In regards to FFX... My understanding is that their 40-foot Orion Vs were an add-on to WMATA's '00 Orion V (2100-2231) order???