November 2011 Observations

Started by RideOn5905, November 05, 2011, 06:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RideOn5905

I might as well kick off November with my experience on the Red Line shuttle between Glenmont and Fort Totten.

The journey began at about 8 a.m., when I boarded the 61 (5735) to Shady Grove. I got off at Lakeforest and switched to the 55 (5733) to Rockville, then later, the 49 (5832, the driver was flooring that joint down Norbeck Road) to Glenmont. Upon arrival, I saw the first shuttle bus, 6146, about to leave the station. Luckily, the next shuttle turned out to be none other than 6167! I was pleased, to say the least. So I got on board, and rode it all the way down to Fort Totten. Shortly before arrival, I saw 2718 and 2722 going the other way. When I got to Fort Totten, I hopped on 2608 and rode it to Silver Spring, where I had another near-miss moment with 2722 (bear in mind, I had not ridden on a Deere'd Orion VII yet during all my time as a transit fan). Determined to catch it, I boarded 6432 and rode it to Takoma, hoping to avoid another near-miss. I was waiting at Takoma for at least half an hour (getting 2720's rehab # in the process), before saying "screw this" and catching 2551 to Glenmont (I was only traveling to Silver Spring, for lunch; which was the only reason I ragequit). Just after we left Takoma, 2722 WAS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER, HEADING TO SILVER SPRING. ANOTHER NEAR-MISS.

After lunch at Panera Bread (where I spotted a couple of RideOn's new hybrids, mostly on the Z2), I headed to the stop for the shuttles, and waited for a 2700 to show up. And I finally got one. 2718, bound for Fort Totten. Ironically, we were behind 2720 the whole trip, and while that bus no longer has the Deere, it still sounded good; whining and "coughing" the whole trip down, and again, I was on the bus behind it! Upon arrival at Fort Totten, I caught 2398 and rode it all the way back to Glenmont (by the by, the KFC still has that big piece of plywood covering the hole that 5008 made). After a while, I saw 6208 on the C8 to White Flint (it was roughly 3:30 at the time), so I figured, "I had a ride on 6167 and a John Deere. I think I can call it a day." And thus began my journey home: 6208 (C8-White Flint), 5730 (46-Rockville), 5926 (59-Shady Grove), 5746 (100-Germantown), and 5825 (61-Rt. 118 & Dawson Farm Rd.).

Long story short, and to quote Ice Cube: "Today was a good day."

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but 2608 was having some problems: Every so often, we'd hear this long, continuous beeping sound, and whenever that happened, the bus would get stuck in first gear and would slow to a crawl. This was especially annoying along Georgia Avenue, when the bus was in second gear, because it would cause the bus to shake back and forth rather violently, and the engine sounded like it wanted to shut off.

Annex4421

Rode 2463 yesterday it was on the P6 and she has an  ISL-G engine in it she sounds so good with it

If you want to watch the video on youtube looke up my page Southeastern4204

PS the heat was on so if you want a better sound video put on some headphones.

rideonrulez

Rode New Flyer LFA #6529 on the B30 on Sunday morning. Then this morning saw New Flyer Xcelsior #7094 on the D6
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

WayneNYC

7052 on the SE/SW Freeway doing a metrorail shuttle last night.

WES

Saturday saw 7067 doing the NH1 and on Sunday saw 7081 doing the same route.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

RideOn5905

2503 doing the Pentagon City-King Street shuttle; apparently, being out of service for about three months made no difference whatsoever.

Contrary to popular belief, 2636 did not, in fact, get repowered; it still has a John Deere (a damn good one, might I add).

Buses from all divisions open on weekends were running the shuttle, especially Four Mile Run, since it's right next door. Strangely enough, though, there were no Xcelsiors.

I also rode 6488 on the S4 from Metro Center to Silver Spring; damn thing was packed from front to back by the time we made it past U Street.

WayneNYC

WES

This might have been said before but I will say it if it isn't.  Yesterday I had dropped off a colleague and was on my way to a bday dinner.  I was approaching 2679, thinking nothing, till I heard the whine of not a JD, but of a C gas plus.  Since I thought I wasn't hearing things correctly I hoped that  we'd get stuck in traffic and it would pass,  which it did and it sounds like it actually has a C gas plus.

Oh yea saw 7117 leaving Landover and behind it a DE42LFA, not sure where 7117 was going.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

WayneNYC

Orion VI (I think it was 2087) on the J7 this afternoon.