January Photos of Observations 2011

Started by WES, January 01, 2011, 10:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WES

Happy New Year to all, another year to take pics of new buses and the buses that will soon be gone.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

NewFlyer9736BCT

the next buses to go would probably be the 42-43-4400s, I don't see that happening within the next year or so (at least I hope).
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

Tritransit Area

Gosh!  It's just not WMATA without those Orions...and Flxes, honestly.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

79MetroExtraMD

"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Annex4421

Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on January 01, 2011, 04:14:21 PM
the next buses to go would probably be the 42-43-4400s, I don't see that happening within the next year or so (at least I hope).
The Xcelsiors are (Supposedly) due in March which will probably kill off 152 Orion Vs since that's the (Supposedly) order of 152 Xcelsiors for WMATA. With the Flxibles gone (yeah they're not coming back) the 4200s themselves would probably go because they are the workhorse Orion Vs, the 43/4400s will stick around for another year, because they spent most of their live in Virginia, or WMATA may only retire that bad seed Orion Vs all together and keep all the good ones like they did the Flxibles.

NewFlyer9736BCT

With the new Southeast division on the way and the proposed division on Cinder Bed Road, there's sure to be much more room for buses, and unless there's enough new buses to replace said Orion Vs AND expand the fleet, then they shouldn't be going anywhere.

speaking of SE, how is that division coming around? I haven't heard anything about it, and what's the current deal with Cinder Bed?

Tristan

Tritransit Area

The Xcelsior bus looks a LOT better than the LFA!
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Tristan

Does anyone else have any idea which order this is?  Last I heard Xcelsiors for DC, it was an unconfirmed rumor that turned out not to be true. 

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Tristan on January 05, 2011, 10:22:39 PM
Does anyone else have any idea which order this is?  Last I heard Xcelsiors for DC, it was an unconfirmed rumor that turned out not to be true. 
Just like with MTAs supposed order of Xcelsiors. I usually look at the BPW board meeting agendas to see anything MDOT related.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

OrionFlyer

Well in regards to MTA, there was in fact an Xcelsior demo on MTA property early last month,  and Chuck said all indications point that MTA would be purchasing these buses sometime this year piggybacking off a DC Metrobus order. But I don't know if that means if WMATA is purchasing these as well.

http://www.monumentalcity.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5980

Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.

Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

Flxible

Quote from: Tritransit Area on January 05, 2011, 02:31:27 PM
The Xcelsior bus looks a LOT better than the LFA!

I agree.  I'm anxious to see what the Xcelsior will look like in WMATA colors, especially Express livery.  I wonder what the fleet numbers would be? 

The LFR is my current new Flyer fave, but I really like the looks of the Xcelsior.  It's gonna take a lot of time for the LFA to grow on me, but the lack of ugly fender covers helps.
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Flxible

Quote from: Southeastern4204 on January 04, 2011, 09:58:15 AM
Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on January 01, 2011, 04:14:21 PM
The Xcelsiors are (Supposedly) due in March which will probably kill off 152 Orion Vs since that's the (Supposedly) order of 152 Xcelsiors for WMATA. With the Flxibles gone (yeah they're not coming back) the 4200s themselves would probably go because they are the workhorse Orion Vs, the 43/4400s will stick around for another year, because they spent most of their live in Virginia, or WMATA may only retire that bad seed Orion Vs all together and keep all the good ones like they did the Flxibles.
From what I've seen from some of the DCATZ gang, if WMATA is out to retire the bad seed Orion Vs, they may want to weed out the 21/2200s first since the 42-4400s are usually regarded as the better buses.
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

NewFlyer9736BCT

so that means most of the upper 4200s then, since they've been working nonstop on heavy duty Northern routes.

WayneNYC

Folks -

We strayed a bit.  You're welcome to continue the discussion (in another topic), but we need get this thread back on-topic as the Jan 2011 Photos.   

Thanks a bunch.