December 2010 Observations

Started by Scrabbleship, December 02, 2010, 04:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WES

That's a little early to rehab the Orion VIIs, they are only 4 years old.  The Neoplans should be the ones getting rehabbed right now.  Even if it was a test paint that they were doing, that should have been done after the Neos were rehabbed.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

aznboy4305

Quote from: orionvii2680 on December 10, 2010, 09:42:56 AM
Exclusive.

Bus#         Route#           Block#        Destination
2553          23C                FT06           Ballston Station.   
(new paint Scheme LOCAL)   

Rehabbed bus# 1438.

Exclusive to what...?

Scrabbleship

Quote from: WES on December 10, 2010, 10:28:01 AM
That's a little early to rehab the Orion VIIs, they are only 4 years old.  The Neoplans should be the ones getting rehabbed right now.  Even if it was a test paint that they were doing, that should have been done after the Neos were rehabbed.

Might Metro have thrown in a towel on the Neoplans, decided it wasn't worth it, and might retire them at 12 years when they can buy a large artic order to replace them and much of the Orion V's?

rideonrulez

Quote from: Scrabbleship on December 10, 2010, 12:44:41 PM

Might Metro have thrown in a towel on the Neoplans, decided it wasn't worth it, and might retire them at 12 years when they can buy a large artic order to replace them and much of the Orion V's?

5301 is in rehab now
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

orionvii2680

Bus#         Route#           Block#        Destination
2553          23C                FT06           Ballston Station.   
(new paint Scheme LOCAL)   

Rehabbed bus# 1438.
[/quote]

Exclusive to what...?
[/quote]

Its the first Orion Vii in the local paint scheme.
Route Rex destination Woodlawn.

Tritransit Area

Quote from: WES on December 04, 2010, 02:14:36 PM
Something that wouldn't have been mentioned years ago because it was so common is now a surprise to see.  Yesterday spotted THE BUS 63195 with a non working sign, but the front only.  Years ago, it would have been a surprised to say a sign was working.  Now all THE BUS has to do is get the funds to start up weekend and late night service.  By the way it was working the 23.

Heh, wow!  Do they still have plenty of those P/R messages like "Good Morning" with the rising sun?  I did see an HDX with the side sign stating "Watch Your Step".  Is that supposed to be a feature when the doors open?
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Tritransit Area

Why would the Neoplans not be worth it?  I thought they were running very well nowadays.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

C40LF_2464

Quote from: rideonrulez on December 10, 2010, 02:11:33 PM

5301 is in rehab now

5309 Is Getting Rehabbed to. Spitted it at bladensburg on Wednesday.

RideOn5905

I saw 5580 on Montgomery Village Avenue this morning, it was deadheaded and had a piece of paper on the windshield; I don't remember what was written on it.

Later on, I had my first taste of Ride-On's ElDorados: 5127 on the 8. This bus was rattling really hard down Forest Glen Road, I kept thinking the windows were gonna fall off.

When I got to Wheaton, I caught 5925 on the 48; this bus was doing that whole "high idle, then die down" thing whenever we stopped.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 10, 2010, 03:29:59 PM

Why would the Neoplans not be worth it?  I thought they were running very well nowadays.
I wouldnt doubt them for not really caring about the Neoplans. Parts are probably hard to find and they're basically being run down everyday on the 70/71. MTA is getting rid of all but 12 of their Neoplans (repowering the 12 to Cummins ISL).
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

orionvii2680

Possably 2 local scheme Orion Vii's.... I was at the pentagon upper lever and noticed a local scheme bus on the 29H and didn't bother to look at the number... but as i looked i noticed there was a ad on the left side of the bus that i didn't see this morning...
Route Rex destination Woodlawn.

WayneNYC

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on December 10, 2010, 06:45:43 PM

I wouldnt doubt them for not really caring about the Neoplans. Parts are probably hard to find and they're basically being run down everyday on the 70/71. MTA is getting rid of all but 12 of their Neoplans (repowering the 12 to Cummins ISL).

I don't think the Neos are any different from buses that spend a long time at Northern.  Does anyone remember the shape Northern's original 21/2200s were in when they sent them to Western?  The good part is that those buses were rehabbed shortly after leaving Northern.  Now that WMATA is finishing the C40LF, the Neoplans should be next for rehab.  I don't know what WMATA Neos have been like in terms of MDBF, but they seem to have done well holding down those tough Northern routes for the last 7 years.  I'm thinking that they'll be fine once they get their rehab TLC.

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: RideOn5905 on December 10, 2010, 05:40:53 PM
I saw 5580 on Montgomery Village Avenue this morning, it was deadheaded and had a piece of paper on the windshield; I don't remember what was written on it.

Later on, I had my first taste of Ride-On's ElDorados: 5127 on the 8. This bus was rattling really hard down Forest Glen Road, I kept thinking the windows were gonna fall off.

When I got to Wheaton, I caught 5925 on the 48; this bus was doing that whole "high idle, then die down" thing whenever we stopped.

man I forgot to mention last month, I saw 5580 on Shady Grove Road, signs weren't working at all. I was following it until I kept straight on Darnestown Rd when it turned into Great Seneca Hwy. That said, it's probably a training bus going to the training lot.

and yeah, isn't it too early for an Orion VII to be rehabbed? you sure you saw that rehab number on that bus?
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

Annex4421

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on December 10, 2010, 06:45:43 PM

Actually it 30 Neo-Plans that are getting done over.

Tristan

2553 also has a red stripe across the front between the windshield and the bike rack.  I always said the NFs look "blank" in the front.

EDIT: I meant 2553, not 2558.